Why does he confide in me so much about girls and especially this girl?

So I’ve noticed that this guy friend of mine is constantly eyeing and flirting with this girl at the gym (she’s beautiful - sexiest one at the gym, driven, and super hot). He randomly shows me their Whatsapp conversation and a message that she had deleted that said that she had bought him a cap (she deleted it immediately but unfortunately he was online at the time and had seen it). So he was showing it to me (he didn’t show me the entire conversation). Then, a couple of days ago he tells me that he saw her and that she kept asked him what was wrong for ten minutes cause he was in a super pissed off mood at the gym and he kept telling her nothing was wrong. Then, he saw me hanging out with her the other day and asked me what she said about him? The girl told me that he was giving her a cold shoulder and was being really rude as he was looking down his phone while she was asking him what was wrong and was weirdly hot and cold with her. Turns out that he asked for her number a couple of months ago, flirted with her, texted her, hung out with her a lot one on one (which he never mentioned to me).
I told him what she said and he goes like she kept asking me what’s wrong for 7 minutes (instead of 10 minutes). I asked him how he met her and he said through a mutual friend (he remembered it very well but didn’t go into detail of asking for her number). I told him not to lead the girl on etc. and closed the subject.

I think he’s head over heels for her but he wouldn’t tell me. Why isn’t he just being honest with me? He clearly likes her- he doesn’t take his eyes off her at the gym and everyone noticed.

25

Most Helpful Guy

• He likes her but has probably decided that he has no chance with her and is pissed at himself for getting so interested in her.

• He clearly likes her though right? He wouldn’t be ranting about her so much. Why doesn’t he tell me the true story that he asked for her number etc texted her and all that?

• She’s actually single and interested in him. I told him not to lead her on. And I think that’s what surprised him (that he potentially could’ve led someone like her on)

• well as she was planking today- he walked up to her and nudged her hand as a form to say hi (after giving her the cold shoulder the other day). but she had her earphones on so they couldn't really converse. he wasn't as nervous as he usually is which is weird. what does this suggest?

Most Helpful Girl

• He may have heard some bad things about her or maybe he found out she had a boyfriend or somebody could have lied and said she had a boyfriend because they liked her too and did not want him to go after her. That's happened to me before. Somebody lied and told me the guy I liked had a girlfriend because she liked him too and didn't want me to date him.

Do you agree that he likes her? Cause he won’t admit it to me.

He saw her walking out the gym the other day with another man for the first time. I’m guessing you’re right.

• Yeah I think so. He probably discovered she was taken or interested in somebody else or maybe a guy he considered to be more attractive than him liked her and he thought his chances were gone.