What is worse... cheating physically or cheating emotionally?

• Physically
  • Emotionally
  • Both
    Vote C
Please feel free to join my debate with devilman :) it's quite interesting and enlightening.
Most of the consensus so far is that both are bad, however there is a clear difference between the two which is highlighted in the comments :)

48

Most Helpful Girl

• Both are pretty bad but your question was either or so I picked emotional.

Some guys cheat physically on the regular because hey don’t actually care about the girl they are with emotionally. That makes it clear the relationship needs to end.

Some cheat on someone they truly care about with someone they don’t and it really eats them up. Still bad.

But cheating emotionally on someone you have an emotional connection with is the worst. It usually involves some sort of sexual act or talk.

Emotional cheating is the worst because they cheater feels there is nothing to confess leaving the other person left feeling gaslighted.

Saying there is nothing between you and a secret sex buddy that you may not be having sex with but that isn’t out of your life. Be honest.

Or a friend that they start dating as soon as you break up.

I learned my way out of dating those guys for long. Second to your kids I need to be number one if we are going to be a team.

Most Helpful Guys

• Physically is worse. Why? Because someone could cheat emotionally and realise their mistake and end it without there actually have been any damage done. Whereas cheating physically only needs to happen once to completely destroy any chances of your relationship resuming.
    If my partner emotionally cheated but said it was over, i could probably forgive them. If they physically cheated but said it was over, I wouldn't be able to forgive them.

• By the time a person who is emotionally cheating comes to realise their mistake, things might have been too damaged to repair. Physical can be isolated to a 1h with an escort ( dark thinking but it's true)

• True but it's the act of cheating that most people find repulsive. Someone could easily emotionally cheat without their relationship actually being damaged at all, I happen to know people who have done exactly that. Physically cheating rarely comes to light and is completely ignored or forgiven whereas emotional cheating has more wriggle room, for the most part.

• Completely agree with you.

• I think they're both as bad as the other.

• Hypothetical scenario: dedicated husband... provides the best life to his family... the best father and is there to his wife whenever she needs him, however sex is something missing in the relationship. He hires a high class escort once in a while. What would you say to that?

• I read a few articles it says that around 67% of the people think that cheating as a whole and 45% of couples cheat in their early 20s. There is a nice academic article called "Emotional reactions of infidelity" which looks into such topics in a detailed way.

I think your comment that really takes the cake would be the withdrawal that comes when a guy can be more sexually satisfied by a professional escort. The withdrawal from trying to please your partner by itself would be terrible. Off topic, but there is zero feelings associated with visiting an escorts though - know people who did (out of relationship), and apart from having a good experience you forget the lady within a month.

I am sorry to hear that you have been cheated on. It can be different as the guy may have been on a rough patch, not getting anything for a few months let's say and just decides to go once.

• We can argue this topic forever really. What we are discussing is a thin red line in enemy territory (both are bad) that in reality does not have a clear answer. It varies completely between men and women and hence is the reason I made a poll for it :)