How to get over regret?

I have given up on a depressed person... my sister who is 31 and is huge debt and is not working at all... she is completely devasted... i feel so guilty 4 her. I haven't spoken in 3 years with her while i lived with her... i felt so bad... and i feel guilty maybe if i could have spoken to her he would have had a sprinkle of hope or something..

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• First up from a first hand perspective its not your fault. But as family if there's anything shy of dragging yourself under with her try to help. Foremost tho try to encourage her to seek help herself. Remember you can show a horse to water but its up to them to drink. I've been in this situation and im barely getting out of it due to a drinking problem but you can't blame yourself for her mistakes. You can however help her find the strength to fight for her future tho.

1|0
    0|0
    • it is my fault cause i stopped talking to her... who does that? i wasn't in my right mind... i could have saved her... why did i do that. mmi felt so guilty...

• Time heals a lot of things but alone? Not possible. Your answer lies in the questions itself. Try to talk to her, try to enjoy with her and take our out, teach her what you've learnt in life and make her feel like she's a responsible person and not a looser. When her brain will be busy with things she'll think less and try to do things. Start a new life again. It would be better if you could explain the reason behind all this.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't there is an exact way to get over regret, its just something you have to learn to live with.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 18

• You can Always do a U-turn with a Family member

0|1
    0|0
  • Tell her that you care about her. That you want to see her happy. That if there's anything concrete you can do to help her pull out of this, like go running or have tea or help her find a job she likes, you'll help.

If there's nothing concrete, your job is done here. Go have fun.

0|0
    0|0
  • What happened to her is not your fault. But she is family, and if you care for her, you shouldn't give up on her. Be there for her and give a helping hand all the while lovingly pushing her to do better and become independent again.

1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe it's not entirely your fault you're not entitled to fix people's lives maybe you think you're at fault that you left her maybe it is your fault but it's ok time moved turn the page and learn from your mistakes how do u think people turn out to be good? By making mistakes in which they learn from them and admit that they need to change. Regret won't solve ANYTHING amends do so get on with your life and make your priorities clear ahead

0|0
    0|0
  • You have the answer in ur question itself u want to talk to her and make things right. Talk and show her there is someone who cares about u no matter what the situation is between you two. Also try to help her out with money situation. But give her the confidence first.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wow God bless your fanily. See if you can get her in councling. It might be a part of mental illness going on where meds would help. I pray for you and sister

0|0
    0|0
  • You can't blame yourself for other people’s actions let people live their life however they want and you worry about your own

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably should of helped her but to late i guess now.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's not even possible to work with depression. Wow you made realy a big mistake. Try to make it better than bevore and apologize

0|0
    0|0
  • Only thing in life with a rear view mirror is a car. Dont look back. Look ahead and take care of yourself first

0|0
    0|0
  • It can be hard to interact with someone in that situation. Some people are afraid that they'll get dragged down too

0|0
    0|0
  • Move on and challenge yourself with new exciting things

0|0
    0|0
  • Tell her to apply for a personal Grant it's free and u don't have to pay it back
    It's free money

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s not ur fault all u can do is help her now

0|0
    0|0
  • Get a life, focus on other things, personal goals

0|0
    0|0
  • By not doing simething I will regret...

0|0
    0|0
  • Get in touch or it will eat you alive

0|0
    0|0
  • nope l have a clear head

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 8

• Regret means you did somthing you shouldn't of done. Keeping your distance from any negative people that take you off course

0|0
    0|0
  • How about you call her and tell her you still care. Help her get some help through Debtors Anonymous.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hmm explain the situation to me more. Yii day you haven’t spoken to her in 3 years. Why not? Why did you give up, per se?

0|0
    0|0
  • Start doing what u regret for... It's never too late to start again.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wow ok. I would hate people who would try to talk to me or help me. Could be because of my stubborness or just because. It depends on what YOUR sister would want however.

0|0
    0|0
  • do whatever u can to help, and say how u feel, it will help

0|1
    0|0
  • You can still talk to her
    Even if it's been a while it's always better than not saying anything.
    Show her you still care

0|0
    0|0
  • Only time will heal it!!

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes