Is weird to tell someone (a girl) about a gift without being able to give it to them?

Is it weird/wrong to tell a girl you had bought them a small gift even though you might not be able to see them again to give it to them? I recently got in contact with an old friend. We hung out and we had been talking since. As I was shopping one day I saw something she would like. It's something small and insignificant really. After a few days I decided to ask her on a date. She said it wasn't a good time for her. She is dating someone but it's complicated. She just wants to be friends. I did the whole "hopefully we could still be friends" routine which I'm not sure was a good idea. I'm not sure if we will hang out again. I feel like it might be awkward because of feelings. I was going to text her and casually bring up the gift during the conversation. Is it weird to tell her I bought her something? I know it's not going to get me a date or anything. Nor am I trying to make her feel bad for rejecting. I just want to show that I was thinking of her at the time. I'm not sure how to word it either without sounding weird.

00