What is your opinion on open or poly relationships?

Do you think they work and if so could it be for the long run. Is it possible to be in love while in an open relationship.

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Why would anyone want to believe that the human capacity for love is limited to one person?

There are two issues. One is insecurity that manifests itself as jealousy. This is a childish emotion. How many siblings are jealous of each other for the love of their parents, when the parents love them all?

The second is social norms. Polygamy in Europe was not uncommon among upper classes until a Pope declared it illegal. He did it not because of some sense of relationships, but because children of different mothers were starting wars over title inheritances that were destabilizing. He banned polygamy to reduce bloodshed and the loss of order.

In the far East, polygamy was accepted until about the middle of the 20th Century. Moslems and Africans throughout the world still practice it.

In place of polygamy, a form of polyamory (mistresses) took hold. Today this is accepted in much of Europe and Asia and is it is only the Puritanism of America that keeps it in the shadows in North America.

Today, gay relationships and marriage are accepted and pushed as "normal" (gay marriage is an oxymoron). But poly relationships are shamed and polygamy is forbidden. This needs to change.

Consenting adults should be legally allowed to do with each other as they wish and it isn't anyone else's business what it is they are doing.

2|0
    4|1
  • I'll preface this by saying that legally, people should be allowed to form whatever relationships they want and be free to negotiate their own contracts. My opinion has no bearing on anyone else's lives.

Now, having said that, here are my opinions: I find any and all non-monogamous relationships downright fucking disgusting, and have zero respect for anyone who engages in them.

Do I think they work? No, because all humans experience jealousy to one degree or another, and it will eventually eat away at one or both partners.

Is it possible to be in love while in an open relationship? By my definition of love, no. Infatuation/lust perhaps.

1|0
    0|1

Most Helpful Girls

• It sucks ass. In my opinion it is not even a relationship, just two friends with benefits people living together and still looking for other casual sex on the side. It would absolutely make a sham out of marriage and it's vows.

4|2
    1|0
  • My personal opinion and prefernece leans to say I only ever want an exclusive relationship with one guy and to have our own family. Its pretty traditional but I am highly family oriented. Open relationships would hurt me emotionally because I get attached and Id get heartbroken and jealous the the guy I loved was sleeping with other women. It would never work for me. And honestly I feel that if you actually found the one whos right for you, you wouldn't want someone else regardless of what they have to offer. Other people may be open to it though, but i feel like open relationships tend to usually deal with just sex more than the realtionship itself. Perhaps people with multiple sex partners would want an open relationship. If im truly in love I sure itd be just with the one guy i wanna spend the rest of my life with :)

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 34

• You can like or lust over multiple people, but you can't legitimately be in love with more than one person at a time.
    It is just for people that lack willpower/self discipline or don't truly care about their SO.
    I disagree with it morally and think it is more for people who value physical pleasure more than a strong emotional connection.

3|2
    2|0
    • Your point taken. Most people think hippie commune when they think of a polyamorous setting, and that’s not the way true ones really are. There’s not even a sexual component in many. But I respect your opinion.

• And by the way, that lifestyle is not for me. Just have been on the periphery of a couple.

• It might work for some people, but not for me. First, there's the increased chance that my partner will catch an std or get pregnant if she has sex with other men. There's also jealousy. I know some people might call me insecure, but i think jealousy is normal for a person to feel when they are in love with someone.

3|1
    1|0
  • Poly relationships work for a while to find the one you want. But open relationships never work... And you can't be in love in an open relationship.

2|1
    0|1
  • Real love is incompatible with these types of relationships. Postmodernism ruins everything

2|1
    0|0
  • I think it's incredibly stupid. Id rather spend my whole life with one person then with a bunch of people. How could you even love that way?

0|1
    0|0
  • It’s a very dangerous place to take a relationship. Avoid if you can. You can’t bring normal back once you go there

0|1
    1|0
  • No... if you love them you want only them. Otherwise you just love what they can do for you

1|1
    1|0
  • No way. I never engaged in sex until a relationship had been established. I married number five. That was 30 years ago. The idea of playing the field in this day and ages scares me.

0|0
    1|0
  • It appears in open relationships it is basically feiends with benefits but married. Little emotions just the sexual feeling and mutual understanding.

0|0
    0|1
  • Open relationship it will be never an real relationship.

1|2
    0|1
  • Open relationship is like friend with benefits, but poly can work in rare cases.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know lets find out I'm already naked underneath my close so I'm good to go just say when buuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrp

0|0
    0|1
  • Let me guess, someone is trying to talk you into one.

0|0
    0|0
  • The only one I have ever been in did not last long, it was a dismal failure,

1|0
    1|0
  • as someone whose been in a poly relationship that involves 7 people (me being acc in a relationship with 3 of the 7)
    for 6 years, yeh i can say they work, ngl we have had breakups within it bc of people who couldnt or various other reasons

but yeah they can work if communication is kept between all parties involved

iv only met 2 of them once in about 4 years since they came involved so you dont necessarily need to be involved with every single person

as long as some communication if someone breaks up or if they find another person

1|0
    2|2
  • That type of relationship isn't for me. But they will work for some people.

0|0
    0|0
  • might as well go Friends With Benefits...

1|0
    0|0
  • It's fucked up, lol

2|1
    1|0
  • For commitment phobes

0|2
    1|0
  • I dislike them

1|1
    1|0
  • Yes, but remember the magic word, agreement

0|1
    0|0
  • I couldn't do it

1|1
    0|0
  • They're toxic and destined to fail.

0|0
    0|0
  • An orgy just with a nicer name

0|0
    0|0
  • No idea. And nor would i want to find out

1|0
    1|0
  • I don't share my girl. Simple as that

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

0|0
    0|0
  • It cam eork if both people are truly wamting it

0|0
    1|0
  • It's best thing ever.

0|0
    1|1
  • Maybe

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 20

• Generally, pointless.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it's better not to be in a relationship at all if it is an open relationship.
    I mean I don't understand the concept. What's the use of being in a relationship if you are gonna be with other people..
    Well I can't really have say in it since I have never been in a relationship before.

1|0
    0|1
    • Fun. It keeps the fun from dying out. The amount of relationships that get ruined because the couple eventually got bored of each other is too high to deny.

• I get what you are saying but if it was me. I would not do that.
      May be what you are saying is true but if it was me, I cannot tolerate it. I am very possessive of people so I can't even begin to comprehend how much possessive I will be if I were to be in a relationship

• It is stupid
    If u truly love ur so u won't be with anyone else
    People who r in those so called not really stupid ass relationship are cheaters and doesn't love there partner at all

1|0
    1|2
    • Nope I'm not wrong dumbass... it is stupid your cheating on your partner while he she is, cheating on you and while that happens.. you don't truly love your partner as well

• I think as long as they trust each other then it shouldn't matter to others how they choose to handle their relationship

2|2
    0|0
  • Mot my thing but I dont judge and if it works for others then good for them. But I personally dont understand it.

1|0
    0|0
  • They work for some people, somehow, but i think its total BS

2|2
    1|0
  • Could only ever do it with someone I was only semi into not someone I truly liked it would crush me to know they were with others

1|0
    0|0
  • they're so much better for my mental health. makes me feel secure to have others relying on someone beside me since I'll never feel good enough.

0|0
    2|2
  • They aren't relationship's, it's just a collective of people who either can't or won't commit.

1|1
    0|0
  • I have no interest in those kind of "relationships " If you call them that. People do what they want while I do me.

1|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't do it but power to the people that do.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not for me. I get jealous easily.

0|1
    0|1
  • indifferent

0|1
    0|0
  • So... WTF?

0|0
    1|0
  • Just "Why?"

0|0
    0|0
  • Definitely stupid
    If you want to fuck other people, then just be single.
    there's no such thing as open relationships
    Relationship is when you're committed to one person only

1|0
    2|2
  • I don’t see any of the other options as actual long lasting relationships... nor will anyone convince me to go that way... I’ll stick with close relationship with one man and work together in that relationship. Poly and open feels jus like for those who either can’t commit to one person and/or maybe are fooling around fulfilling what they call “needs” when it’s actually “wants”.

1|0
    1|1
  • All these people that have never been in one aren’t qualified to comment, sorry. You can THINK one thing, and then in practise realise it’s something completely different. I acknowledge it’s not for everyone, but reading these comments I think everyone should be a little more open minded.

I say this because I used to be like them. I used to be all monogamy and judged those in open relationships. Not overtly, or with disdain, but I didn’t think it was anything I could do that was for me.

Fast forward to meeting my now boyfriend of 1.5 years, in an open relationship (for our own reasons that have NOTHING to do with being unable to commit). He puts me first always, we are so open and honest with each other (so much more than any of my past relationships) and neither of us would ever do anything the other wasn’t comfortable with.

Sure, I get jealous occasionally, but I put that down to how I’m feeling about myself that day, not about anything he’s doing or done.

0|1
    2|1
    • Was definitely prepared for the hate by the narrow minded prudes 😂

• nope don't work its great in theory though just have fun and move on to the next but commitment nope

0|0
    1|0
  • I’ve been in a polyamorous relationship for just over six years. It works fine. It is definitely possible to love more than one mate, and to share without jealousy or friction. It’s not for everyone though. As far as I’m concerned it’s my business, no one else’s. If we can accept gay marriage and gender fluidity, we can surely accept polyamorous relationships.

2|2
    5|2

Recommended myTakes