What is your opinion on open or poly relationships?

Do you think they work and if so could it be for the long run. Is it possible to be in love while in an open relationship.

2236

Most Helpful Guys

• Why would anyone want to believe that the human capacity for love is limited to one person?

There are two issues. One is insecurity that manifests itself as jealousy. This is a childish emotion. How many siblings are jealous of each other for the love of their parents, when the parents love them all?

The second is social norms. Polygamy in Europe was not uncommon among upper classes until a Pope declared it illegal. He did it not because of some sense of relationships, but because children of different mothers were starting wars over title inheritances that were destabilizing. He banned polygamy to reduce bloodshed and the loss of order.

In the far East, polygamy was accepted until about the middle of the 20th Century. Moslems and Africans throughout the world still practice it.

In place of polygamy, a form of polyamory (mistresses) took hold. Today this is accepted in much of Europe and Asia and is it is only the Puritanism of America that keeps it in the shadows in North America.

Today, gay relationships and marriage are accepted and pushed as "normal" (gay marriage is an oxymoron). But poly relationships are shamed and polygamy is forbidden. This needs to change.

Consenting adults should be legally allowed to do with each other as they wish and it isn't anyone else's business what it is they are doing.

• I'll preface this by saying that legally, people should be allowed to form whatever relationships they want and be free to negotiate their own contracts. My opinion has no bearing on anyone else's lives.

Now, having said that, here are my opinions: I find any and all non-monogamous relationships downright fucking disgusting, and have zero respect for anyone who engages in them.

Do I think they work? No, because all humans experience jealousy to one degree or another, and it will eventually eat away at one or both partners.

Is it possible to be in love while in an open relationship? By my definition of love, no. Infatuation/lust perhaps.

Most Helpful Girls

• It sucks ass. In my opinion it is not even a relationship, just two friends with benefits people living together and still looking for other casual sex on the side. It would absolutely make a sham out of marriage and it's vows.

• My personal opinion and prefernece leans to say I only ever want an exclusive relationship with one guy and to have our own family. Its pretty traditional but I am highly family oriented. Open relationships would hurt me emotionally because I get attached and Id get heartbroken and jealous the the guy I loved was sleeping with other women. It would never work for me. And honestly I feel that if you actually found the one whos right for you, you wouldn't want someone else regardless of what they have to offer. Other people may be open to it though, but i feel like open relationships tend to usually deal with just sex more than the realtionship itself. Perhaps people with multiple sex partners would want an open relationship. If im truly in love I sure itd be just with the one guy i wanna spend the rest of my life with :)