When you say, "I just want to date casually. . . nothing serious," what - exactly - do you mean?

When you say,
If you have dated many members of the opposite sex, you have heard - at some time - a potential interest say to you, "We can date, but I don't want anything serious." I know the dictionary definition of all of those words but I'm never sure what a woman means when she says it. Sometimes, I think it's intentionally ambiguous so that the woman can always come back later and say, "Remember? I told you I didn't want this!"

I have never made such a statement to anyone. If I find someone I like sufficiently, I'll let the relationship go wherever it can. Have you ever made a similar statement to a potential partner? What did you mean when you said it?
  • "We can date but this will never progress to a physical relationship."
  • "We can date but no sex on the first date!"
  • "We can date and maybe have a sexual relationship but it will not be monogamous!"
    Vote C
  • "We can date, maybe have a sexual relationship, and even be monogamous, but no living together!"
    Vote D
  • "We can date, maybe have a sexual relationship, be monogamous, and even live together. . . but I'm NEVER getting married!"
    Vote E
  • "Let's take it slow and not get serious too quickly!"
    Vote F
  • "I am incapable of offering you any commitment. There, I've warned you! Any time I want out, I'll remind you about this conversation!"
    Vote G

2328

Most Helpful Girls

• I never tell anyone that I want to date casually. I would be lying if I said that I just wanted to date casually and wasn't looking for anything serious. I've had guys tell me that they just wanted to date casually, nothing serious and it seemed to equate to,"You will only hear from me when I'm horny, want sex, and none of the other females that I'm casually dating are available right now for sex. You don't exist to me otherwise". No thanks. I lose interest and move on.

• "I lose interest and move on." Me, too!

• That's good. It saves a lot of wasted time and spares anyone from potentially getting hurt feelings.

• If someone said that to me i would actually assume the opposite, to the poll choices, i would assume they ONLY wanted sex but no commitment, which for me would be extremely off putting, if any guys say that to me i instantly lose interest and don't take anything they say or there intentions sincerely.

Now for a woman saying it i'm unsure, but thats how i see it if a guy said it to me, though i've never wanted to date someone unless we get serious, to me we're either dating to eventually become girlfriend and boyfriend, or i see no point in dating them at all, i don't want time wasted, casual sex is absolutely no interest of mine and i'm not into hooking up with strangers, for me sex is to be enjoyed as a couple, but i know unfortunately in this day and age people will happily have casual sex with the hook up culture, i don't judge in the sense its there life do what you want, but its certainly not for me.

Most Helpful Guys

• Usually from what I understand it means “I’m craving a relationship but you’re not exactly what I’d hoped for (or you are but I’m scared and trying to look like I’m not already kinda obsessed with you) but I’m still open to where this might go but I don’t want to get trapped so please lower your expectations if you want to avoid getting hurt but also please don’t leave yet.” I could keep going but pretty much it means they’re on the fence and trying to create a safe non smothering guilt free space to behave in with you. Personally not my thing but I understand it.

• It depends on the person that says it. Sometimes it is a way to keep options open. Sometimes it is a way extend the trial period as they only have lukewarm interest.

But I have also encountered some women say it because they are getting these strings of needy guys that attempt to monopolize their time. They expect to see them every day off. Expect textathons. Expect to be very serious, very quickly. Sometimes they will say this to keep their foot on the brake pedal so they can live their life without immediately having to give all of their free time to a new guy. A phrase to look for with these women is anything along the lines of "I don't have the time to maintain a relationship right now".. that is how bad they get fucked over. New guy comes in and wants to take over their lives. Nobody, man or woman really wants that.

• So what do YOU mean when YOU say it?

• @kitty71 Well usually "lets be friends" is the go-to line for illustrating you are not attracted to someone hahaha. But either way, you are not attractive as a long term partner, hence why he does not want a relationship with you.

• @Wraithofsparta eI know that but he is physically attracted to me