Boyfriend wears confederate flag sweatshirt?

Alright, so my boyfriend wears the confederate flag sweatshirt. He is a small town guy and is very country. I don't know why but I was told it stands for racism. He also listens to rap music, lol. So like what do I do? he's an amazing boyfriend and is always nice to people.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• "I don't know why but I was told it stands for racism." Why don't you ask him what that flag means to him?

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• You should ask your boyfriend what it means to him and go with that.

Really this flag is about the Civil War in the south. Some people see it as racism because it was about slavery. But look at the times we live in. Everyone gets butt-hurt over the stupidest little thing and will make it into something racial for the sake of arguing with people. I’m black, I never really saw it as anything to do with race so I’m not really offended by it. So it’s best to ask your boyfriend what it means to him and you decide how you feel after he answers.

1|0
    0|0
    • Thats what I thought too! My nephew said something about him wearing it, and I thought it was cool my boyfriend was standing up for his right. People need to stop being triggered. Thanks for your opinion. It really helped me :)

• Show All
    • You’re welcome.

But let’s be real here. You can’t please everybody and someone will always have something to say about you. If he wants to wear the shirt then tell him to wear the damn shirt. Maybe the people up north are jealous that they don’t have a “war flag.” Hahaha who knows.

• I have no idea haha, he said at one time he wanted to join the KKK. But I don't know man. He didn'tjoin. He is super old fashioned. But yeah if he wants to wear the shirt he can.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• The Confederate flag was to protect the rights of the American people. You can't just give Americans a right, then when it no longer serves the government's interests in the north, taking this to the point of civil war?
    A large majority of slaves came back to the south after the war is over and stayed with their previous owners.
    A huge Misconception about racism

1|0
    0|0
  • It's part of his culture and heritage. Especially if his ancestors fought for the confedracy.

1|0
    0|0
  • so you are going to dump him cuz of a shirt... wow that is shallow.

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably not a racist, but if you don't know what to do than ask him what he thinks about the flag

0|0
    0|0
  • I mean if he lives in a small town that kind of thing tends to blee into the style. I don't think that many people who wear that are considering the context of the actual motives of the Confederacy.

To a lot of people, that design is a symbol of rebellion. I was surprised to see a hippie in a Confederate flag shirt in an old photo from the 60-70s era.

That being said, a lot of the time that shit is just racist. I don't know your man but its a thing you more than anyone here should be able to discern.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

Recommended myTakes