Would you date a police officer?

My boyfriend (of 2 years) is becoming a police officer
I don't know what to think of this
I mean... I love guys in uniform lol they're hot !
But I'm abit scared now :\
They have higher chances of getting shot, etc
And I can be a target if someone hates him

Would you date a police officer?
Why or why not?
Would you date a police officer?
  • Yes I would
  • No I wouldn't

714

Most Helpful Guys

• Re. officer's deaths. In general, police officer's jobs are quite as dangerous as they seem at first. There are other jobs with higher death rates. Among them are: Loggers, Commercial fishermen, Aircraft pilots and flight engineers, Roofers, Trash and Recycling collectors, Iron and Steel workers, Truck Drivers and Sales Drivers, Farmers and Ranchers, Other Agricultural Managers, First Line Supervisors of Construction Trades and Extractors, Grounds Maintenance Workers. As you can see, police officers didn't even make the top ten most dangerous jobs. Not that being an officer isn't dangerous, but you don't have quite as much to be concerned about as it seems.

• Ah okay yeah you made a point
      Do they work long hours? Do you think they see their partner often?

• How many hours they work, depends on the department. If they have partners, then they would seemingly see them a lot. One disadvantage, is just like nurses, etc., police have to work some weekends and holidays.

• Really... wow. Maybe you should do some factual research on department of labor and worker death per job title. I hear fisherman is number 1 still.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have for 2 years, we recently ended things but not bc of him being a police officer. He was a great guy and an excellent police officer, I was concerned about something happening to him on the job like you are, but if you love him you need to have faith he'll be okay. Once he starts he'll reassure you that he won't put himself in situations that could harm him or end his life. If that's the path he chooses then you need to be supportive, you don't want him working with any unnecessary distractions.
    Believe me in a short time your worries and concerns will lesson, don't get me wrong it's a dangerous job that you didn't choose, you picked him and he picked the job so have faith and be his best friend, with you in his world he's not going to do anything that will jeopardize him from coming home to you when his shift is over.

• Can I ask how you felt about it? Do they work long hours? Did you see him often?

• I was completely okay the entire time, they can't work long hours unless they have to cover a shift due to someone not making it in bc their sick. The union FOP protect them from working too many hours straight, their not as alert and that could be dangerous.
      I want to give you a heads up on something that happened to us, me really, he was so use to people doing exactly what he said when he was working, I'm talking about those in the wrong for minor stuff like parking in a spot they shouldn't be in, all he had to say was move that car and the person would move the car without saying a word. Well he tried that shit with me, bc the job gave him the power at work, at home he was my boyfriend not a police officer. I hope I explained the point I was trying to get across.