Why did I get the feeling that he wanted to apologize for the way he rejected me?

Ok. So, I confessed to a guy that I like that I liked him, he was pretty hostile to the point where it made think "did he actually just respond like that"? Anyways, it's been a while since I last saw him, and then a couple weeks ago, he came into my work and we locked eyes for a moment. In those moments, I felt as though he felt guilty and wanted to apologize to me for it. Why did I get that feeling? Did he actually wanna apologize, or is it just my wishful thinking thinking that he wanted to?

12