Etiquette question: How long do you wait until you can ask a girl out following a breakup?

When a girl splits from her long term boyfriend of several years how long do you wait until you can ask her out?

please state reason for you answer
Updates:
this question is hypothetical

1|1

Most Helpful Girls

• Honestly I would be a bit sceptical about even dating someone who was in a relationship for that long. In my experience, it's something most people don't really get over.

1|2
    0|0
  • Give her a few weeks. Long enough for her to grieve, short enough that no one else asks her out first.

0|4
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I think it depends on what kind of signs she's giving. I'd only do it if I felt that she was ready and wasn't still hurting to the degree that she's thinking about her ex all the time.

Obviously these things depend on the situation and the person, so I wouldn't say there's any set time frame you can use.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would go to her and say, "I heard that you broke up with Brandon. I know that breakups sometimes take time to process and, if and when you are ready for a distraction, I hope you'll let me know."

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 20

• Depends on how torn up she seems, and who ended it. Did he end it suddenly, and she’s heartbroken and crying and overall torn up? Months. I’d wait months.
    Did she end it, because she was no longer feeling it and was pretty much over him already? A few weeks.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd wait a few months at least so it wouldn't just be a rebound relationship that ends miserably. Give her time to ensure she has properly grieved and is relatively over it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just ask her out but don't put any pressure next time you meet her. Some people are open to new opportunities within days and others take years and you don't know which one she is.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't know it depends on how he behaves I guess.
    If I undertand that he is over the whole thing then I don't wait much

0|1
    0|0
  • i think youd just know when itd be okay. itd vary from person to person, but you should be able to get a feel from the way she acts with u

0|1
    0|0
  • My boyfriend asked me out about 5 months after my last breakup and to be honest it did felt way too soon for me. So if I had to decide I would say at least about 9 months to a year.

0|0
    0|0
  • How long is a piece of string?
    At times I was devastated by a break up and other times I was fine.

0|2
    0|0
  • It depends on the girl, has she talked about wanting to date new people or has she been still in the dumps over the break up. Certain signs that can give off if she’s readyor not

0|0
    0|0
  • it really depends on how the breakup ended. if it ended badly, you need to give her and her heart time to heal. if the breakup was mutual and went smoothly, maybe a couple months, 2 minimum? that’s how long i would need at least. hope i helped! 😊

0|0
    0|0
  • I would maybe say a few weeks... could be months depending on how she takes the breakup

0|1
    0|0
  • I’m my opinion there’s no “perfect” time, it depends solely on the females situation

0|0
    0|0
  • No rwal answer, just do it. If she's crying obviously not, but, if she's chillin just do it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Several weeks, possibly months

0|1
    0|0
  • I’d say 2 months

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on how long the queue is

0|1
    0|0
  • 1 hr

0|0
    0|0
  • At least a couple of months.

0|0
    0|0
  • 1 month

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends if she was still attached to him when the breakup happened or ready to leave.
    Even my boyfreind who cheated on me I was hung up on him for 6 months

1|1
    0|0
  • Maybe about 5-10 years
    But you could also scrape by at 5-10 seconds but don’t overdo it

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 37

• A couple of weeks at least so she has her mind off of him

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it depends on what the circumstances are.

If he dumped her for somebody else, probably don't jump straight in. If she's dumped him, she might not want to get involved with somebody else immediately, for fear of hurting his feelings. Unless she asked him to shape up about something, gave him umpteen chances and he didn't. You get the idea.

I'd need to know more about the circumstances before I'd advise one way or the other.

0|1
    0|0
  • I once read that, while there is no set amount of time, a rule of thumb is to wait one month for every year you were in a relationship. However, sometimes a person is processing the end of the relationship while still in it. That can reduce the time, if they didn’t end the relationship, I’d guess “waiting one additional month per year of relationship” could be on the low side of what is required.

0|0
    0|0
  • Make no sense..

0|0
    0|0
  • It's more of a question of how long it takes her to feel like going out with someone. If you are friends, or are willing to just be a friend, you can ask her now, if she'd like to go do something, no intentions and no strings attached. You can be friends any time, and being a friend may be a good way to get to know her. But only if you can really be a friend, and not after her. If that's the case, then wait until you see indications that she is back to normal for a while.

0|0
    0|0
  • no easy or short answer there.
    each situation is different. an indicator would be if she's out and about in an environment where people often meet. in contrast, if she's home on the couch in her jammies, eating ice cream by the quart and crying over old movies, she's probably not ready.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe you don't need to ask her out for things to develop. It could be that the relationship you already have could grow piece by piece without forcing a yes/no choice too soon. I like letting things build from friendship and understanding into something more when ready.

0|1
    0|0
  • usually within a few months of time, the main factors is how their relationship ended. it's usually pretty fast if their break up was bad and ended in a argument and longer if it was for other reasons.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would go in observational mode and when she seems to have move on but after a relationship of several years there could be a rebound factor - I would wait 6 months maybe let her get a couple of dates with other guys out of the way

0|0
    0|0
  • Next day. A relationship isn't over from one minute to the next. Followingly, I saw it coming, and it is my right not to waste time with waiting out a ''mourning'' period.

0|1
    0|0
  • The average person takes 17 months to get over their ex.
    But it's not a question of ethics, more of a "how much better you are than her ex" and also her current thot readings.

1|0
    0|0
  • Ask her when she is ready , viola. You these works in real life. You talk to the person instead of having a billion thoughts that starts with (what if).

0|0
    0|0
  • 2,3 months depends how much her brain is damaged but mostly are damaged so much they will never forget the one

1|0
    0|0
  • As soon as I find out tbh, but I also like to give her time to at least get settled.

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends how close you were with your ex, if she was a bitch I wouldn't waste another second to find another person. If you both have some sort of respect for each other you can even ask her if she doesn't mind you dating someone else

0|0
    0|0
  • Try to anticipate her behavior
    If she is in jolly mood, then she had probably got over her break up phase, you can then ask her out.
    If she seems to be depressed and gloomy then give her time to recover.

0|0
    0|0
  • Right away. Attack while they’re weak like a lion when they hunt gazelle. They go for the weakest one. Be an animal.

0|1
    1|0
  • I haven't run into that situation before but if I were looking, I'd give it a week or two.

0|1
    0|0
  • You don’t... ask her out formally. You let her think about a date with you by being around her
    In a discrete way

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends. If you can make her laugh as soon the finish breaking up make your move.
    She may want to make him jelous , get over him , want to be comforted , or want company.

0|0
    0|0
  • Give her a rebound lay, after that she's fair game, unless you want to be the rebound then 2-4 weeks.

0|0
    0|0
  • My opinion every women is different some get a man right away or wait a long tine. 10 years My ex didn't wait she had a guy like 2 weeks later now married 2 years later

0|0
    0|0
  • If she's the dumped one, till she shows interest in doing so.
    If she's the dumper, anytime.

0|2
    0|0
  • I would wait a month if she isn't showing that she is over it I would wait longer.

0|0
    0|0
  • Like couple weeks. Women get through this usually pretty fast. It could be wrong too.

0|0
    0|0
  • If she married around 4 months and 10 days.

If she pregnant, until baby born

0|0
    0|0
  • Not how long in terms of time but how long in terms of which stage of getting over it she's in.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think if u like somebody let them kno how u feel and go from there

0|0
    0|0
  • I would say maybe 2 weeks? It depends on who you are talking about though.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd say half a year, give or take.

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes