Etiquette question: How long do you wait until you can ask a girl out following a breakup?

When a girl splits from her long term boyfriend of several years how long do you wait until you can ask her out?

please state reason for you answer
this question is hypothetical

2239

Most Helpful Girls

• Honestly I would be a bit sceptical about even dating someone who was in a relationship for that long. In my experience, it's something most people don't really get over.

• Give her a few weeks. Long enough for her to grieve, short enough that no one else asks her out first.

Most Helpful Guys

• I think it depends on what kind of signs she's giving. I'd only do it if I felt that she was ready and wasn't still hurting to the degree that she's thinking about her ex all the time.

Obviously these things depend on the situation and the person, so I wouldn't say there's any set time frame you can use.

• I would go to her and say, "I heard that you broke up with Brandon. I know that breakups sometimes take time to process and, if and when you are ready for a distraction, I hope you'll let me know."