Why did he leave early on the first date?

Ok so we planned on meeting up at 10 at McDonald's, but he texted me saying he would be late because his friend was having an emergency. He got there about half an hour later. While we were together he was super nice and was really good at keeping the conversation going. Instead of earing at McDonald's he led the way back to his car and then drove us back to my dorm. I thought he just wanted sex and I was getting a little nervous, but when we got there he sat across from me and we just talked and had fun. Then his phone started going off a lot. He would always apologize and ask if he could answer it and i'd be like yeah np. While he was on the pho e he was saying something about "ok then tell them to just come over to my dorm." I don't know what was going on but after he hung up he got more texts and then he apologized and said his friend was having an emergency and he had to leave. Was he not into me? Did he just make up an excuse to leave? I was kinda annoyed by him coming late and I thought it wasn't gonna work out but I really liked talking to him so i'm confused on why he left so abruptly.
Forgot to mention: when he left he gave me a hug and when I said do you wanna hang out again he said yeah definitely
He just texted me to apologize again for leaving early and to say he had a good time with me/he'd like to hang out again

01