Why do people refuse to flirt, approach, or make interest known, and then act surprised they're single?

I will literally see this on G@G all the time. People will say how they don't approach people, don't ask people out, don't flirt, or ANYTHING... and then ask why they are overlooked or single.

... What? I don't understand. If you don't make your presence and interest known to someone, how, precisely, are they to know you are interested?

39128

Most Helpful Guys

• It's because doing those things is hard for a lot of people, and while some find a way to power through, others prefer to give up, and many of those then want to blame others for their own failures.

As a guy of below-average physical attractiveness, believe me that I know it's hard to put yourself out there - but you can't succeed without risk.

• I dunno, it seems to me that the potential Prize- a girlfriend or boyfriend, should be enough motivation

• You have a "social value" but it can be "modified" by making efforts to look better, by learning to flirt better, by overcoming shyness, by learning not to care about what bad people say and by increasing your self confidence. It isn't easy and it takes some time but it can be done.

• @Logorithim for some reason my friends always tell me oh you think everyone likes you when they look at you when in fact i've never hinted at me thinking such things it annoys the crap out of me and they only say it when they want to put me down.
      Such as my fuckboy friend saying: i'm not a fuckboy i'm only busy with 1 girl right now and you're just jealous because you can't do that and you think everyone likes you when they look at you.
      it's fucking annoying.

• @ChronicThinker because girls reject guys right from the beginning. A girl who shows interest shows it indirectly and never directly states that they like us. Even i tried the "do you like me or no question" and the response is always a classic riddle. Guys and girls who go on tinder and hookup are more likely of success because its become a casual sex generaton instead of a relationship generation. The worst part is that guys who lie are succesfully having sex with girls and honest single guys intending to build a relationship are overlooked. Flirting and the girl accuses guys of sexual harassment either before or after.

• I always did. I'm very forward and happen to be female. But, I see your point on the generational thing. It has made things more difficult.

• oh i see, this is hard to come by unfortunately, directness is so refreshing.
      I am living in an apartment with a 40yr old wise man who guided me about her interest, unfortunately he broke his hand and when he returns and i tell him what this girl did, i dont know if he's going to be surprised or shocked.

• It's a fair assessment though, many women aren't forward.

Most Helpful Girls

• Maybe a lot of people just don't see the sense. I relate to what the following message says.

• I ended up with the kids !! But that was my choice , and yes I intend to remain single permanently

• I don't know, I mean I'm not outwardly expressing why I'm single and stuff 😂😂 but I don't really flirt or make my interest known (mainly because I don't find enough serious guys in my life that are willing to take on a serious and long lasting relationship. So I don't outwardly express interest) but when a guy expresses interest, I do take their offer seriously and determine if it could potentially work out.
    But yeah, I mean as long as you aren't a piece of log that doesn't know how to communicate or even have a decent convo, I don't see why people wouldn't be expressing interest regardless of flirting/approaching people.
    Personally I don't like approaching anyone unless they are in my social circle, I'm quite shy and cautious around guys... so for me, I do wonder why other girls that act aloof get more requests, but I'm not gonna complain too much about it. Often times, these things just need a spark and I just haven't found that yet to be persuaded to flirt or even express interest.