Need advice about a girl?

This is devouring me for months, I need an advice (I apologize for my english). I knew this girl years ago cause we attended the same school, but we never knew each other well until last year, when we did a movie lab together and started hanging out (with other members of the lab too). I slowly fell in love with her like never before, we like the same music, the same movies, the same books, we're kinda similar.
I tried goofily to text her, hang out with her but then I realized she liked another guy and I carried on. Then they broke up and I tried again, but her friends told me she sees me only as a dear friend and doesn't want to mine our friendship, she knows that I like her and she tries not to hurt me. Now I really don't know what to do: I'm really in love with her, but I don't want to be rejected and lose her, however this limbo in which both of us know that I like her but we continue to act as friends hurts me deepily. My friends told me just to give up but I simply can't, I tried dating other girls but they're not like her.

01