How do I know if he really likes me or if he is just waiting for someone better to come along?

How do you know if a guy actually really likes you vs just wants to have someone to hang out with and have sex with while he hopes for someone better to come along?
I should clarify that this is an “early dating” type of question. Like, how do you know at the very beginning of a relationship when you are just deciding to date each other whether he is really into you or just (consciously or unconsciously) using you as a placeholder?

12