Who cares more about looks, men or women?

Who is more picky when it comes to looks, men or women?
  • Men
  • Women
I don't mean how they appear to look, I mean who's more picky about the looks of someone they want to date?

1044

Most Helpful Guys

• OKcupid released their data on this subject and the answer was without a doubt, women care more about looks than men.

The graph depicting how men rate women's looks represented a standard bell curve. Men rated most women as average looking with less women being either really attractive or unattractive.

The graph depicting how women rated men's looks was a steep cliff, not a bell curve. Women rated 80% of men as below average which meant that a guy would need to be in the top 20% of men just to be considered a 5/10.

• @SkyeMind I don't agree with that at all. On dating apps the general strategy for men is to swipe right on every single woman without even looking at them. Then the men chat up any woman that they wind up matching with. Finally the women decide whether or not they will date the man that has been attempting to chat them up. At every stage in the process it is the woman that is being picky, not the man.

It is a simple matter of nature/biology. Men are programmed to spread their seed to as many mates as possible. Women are programmed to be selective about their mates. The only time that this wouldn't apply is if the woman is above child bearing age, since spreading their seed doesn't make sense if pregnancy is impossible. Of course humans have the capabilities of defying their nature/biology, however that is why these generalizations exist.

• I agree @Matthew to the generalizations for sure and the way "spreading seeds"-mentality for men and selection for women is a way to go in child-bearing times in nature/biology sense.
      Time and again though, we're not just driven by primal things alone.
      However, you and me won't solve it ;) I'm ok with being on the other side of the opinion field on this one :) I find you have great points, yet not convincing me to change viewpoint, which is also fine. :)

• I think men are so obsessed with looks that they project their desires on to women. The graphs everyone is referencing proves the opposite. Women mostly think guys are ugly, but you know what, they date them anyway. Women are harder to please, but overall attractiveness is of less importance when deciding who to date.

For guys appearance is a bigger factor, but the minimum threshold for sexiness is much lower. That's why the guys have more of a bell curve in the graphs. Lots of guys would happily date a girl that's only a 6 or 7, he doesn't really need her to be a 10 as long as he finds her more attractive than average.

Most Helpful Girls

• Men. If women did then men would be the ones getting done up in makeup every day.

• Wouldn't the person who is most obsessed with looks be the one to artificially change their look through makeup? Men care less about looks so they don't care to put on makeup.

• โค๐Ÿ’“โค

• โค๏ธโค๏ธ๐Ÿ˜Š
      Stay strong
      And may the force be with you dear ally

• I think there's an equal amount of picky people in both genders, although women seem to be more vocal about it.