Who cares more about looks, men or women?

Who is more picky when it comes to looks, men or women?
  • Men
    Vote A
  • Women
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
I don't mean how they appear to look, I mean who's more picky about the looks of someone they want to date?

0|2

Most Helpful Guys

• OKcupid released their data on this subject and the answer was without a doubt, women care more about looks than men.

The graph depicting how men rate women's looks represented a standard bell curve. Men rated most women as average looking with less women being either really attractive or unattractive.

The graph depicting how women rated men's looks was a steep cliff, not a bell curve. Women rated 80% of men as below average which meant that a guy would need to be in the top 20% of men just to be considered a 5/10.

1|4
    1|0
    • Show All
    • @SkyeMind I don't agree with that at all. On dating apps the general strategy for men is to swipe right on every single woman without even looking at them. Then the men chat up any woman that they wind up matching with. Finally the women decide whether or not they will date the man that has been attempting to chat them up. At every stage in the process it is the woman that is being picky, not the man.

It is a simple matter of nature/biology. Men are programmed to spread their seed to as many mates as possible. Women are programmed to be selective about their mates. The only time that this wouldn't apply is if the woman is above child bearing age, since spreading their seed doesn't make sense if pregnancy is impossible. Of course humans have the capabilities of defying their nature/biology, however that is why these generalizations exist.

• I agree @Matthew to the generalizations for sure and the way "spreading seeds"-mentality for men and selection for women is a way to go in child-bearing times in nature/biology sense.
      Time and again though, we're not just driven by primal things alone.
      However, you and me won't solve it ;) I'm ok with being on the other side of the opinion field on this one :) I find you have great points, yet not convincing me to change viewpoint, which is also fine. :)

• I think men are so obsessed with looks that they project their desires on to women. The graphs everyone is referencing proves the opposite. Women mostly think guys are ugly, but you know what, they date them anyway. Women are harder to please, but overall attractiveness is of less importance when deciding who to date.

For guys appearance is a bigger factor, but the minimum threshold for sexiness is much lower. That's why the guys have more of a bell curve in the graphs. Lots of guys would happily date a girl that's only a 6 or 7, he doesn't really need her to be a 10 as long as he finds her more attractive than average.

3|1
    0|1

Most Helpful Girls

• Men. If women did then men would be the ones getting done up in makeup every day.

3|4
    0|6
    • Wouldn't the person who is most obsessed with looks be the one to artificially change their look through makeup? Men care less about looks so they don't care to put on makeup.

• Show All
    • โค๐Ÿ’“โค

• โค๏ธโค๏ธ๐Ÿ˜Š
      Stay strong
      And may the force be with you dear ally

• I think there's an equal amount of picky people in both genders, although women seem to be more vocal about it.

1|1
    0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 42

• Women are definitely pickier. Men as a group have lower standards than women.

0|3
    1|0
  • I think men care most about the woman's genuine looks while women care about the presentation of those looks in a much pickier fashion. And I think women see a man's appearance as something she can improve in a much more pickier way.

3|0
    0|1
  • Traditionally men tend to care much more about their partner's beauty.

tvtropes.org/.../MenAreStrongWomenArePretty

0|0
    0|0
  • Men notice and focus on more detail, but women are more picky. Like Lance1965 said, women only go for the top 10%. Men are more flexible even though we notice more detail.

0|1
    1|1
  • Women easily.

All women spend their lives looking for the top 10% of men regardless of how they look themselves. Ugly women reject ugly guys all the time for not meeting their unrealistic standards.

0|2
    3|0
    • True even a huge statistical study proved this, nearly 90% of women only find 10% of men attractive while men are open to nearly 80%+ women.

• Men 100%. But thats just fair considering that females are the prettier gender in general, and can be beautiful by nautre, without moving a single finger. Men dont have that luxury

0|1
    0|1
  • I mean i have a friend (male) who is so picky and cares about other s looks. But thinking of it a lot of girls are obsessed with how they look and how others look too. I think both equally care about looks.

1|0
    0|0
  • Men are more picky about how things or people look, in a world without men women wouldn't care much about shaving their legs or armpits, or wearing cleavage

1|0
    0|0
  • Women
    That's why women have more fashion trends, make up, and lotions and creams, and much more accessories.

0|3
    1|0
    • Doesn't this make it the other way around though? Women do put this much work in their looks because thats what men want to see...

• @Hurlyburly I don't think that a regular man would have thought of make up, nor fashion trends or any of the beauty standards made by the media.
      It is what money makers (Big companies) made us believe that.

• @Hurlyburly I am a man. I hate women who are all make up and fashion and stuff. That grosses me out tbh. My current girlfriend doesn't believe in makeup and thats why she is my girlfriend. Women do that because you all are so vain and being vain is unattractive.

• Women notice and care more about details so when it comes to being picky I would say women. Men are more visual and care about the overall appearance.

0|1
    0|0
    • @ecfresh Ever thought about the situation where women are for details because men requires them? Because, as you said, they are more visual. They care about the whole overall package, which somewhere makes them more picky (in my opinion) than women.
      I can find a man incredibly attractive based on eyes or tone of voice. Doesn't matter to me that he has a belly, or whatever size his penis is.
      Women often don't require an overall great physical appearance but need something physically attractive AND attractiveness in personality. Generally the man of choice becomes overall attractive physically once something about him is found that is attractive. It can start with personality and doesn't have to be physical.

• Show All
    • Ideally like you I would like to meet someone who is a 9/10 looks wise and a 7/8 personality wise. As I said I would go into the 1st date excited to spend time with her and her personality would create a spark sooner and add to the sexual tension. I probably would not be able to tell the exact shade of her lipstick and may not remember the style of her purse but overall would enjoy the date and look forward to the next one. I would be more likely to follow up on the vibe between dates and continue to escalate the sexual tension. For the case of the 4/10 girl if I did feel a connection based on her personality it may take longer to spark the chemistry. I have had cases where it kind of turns into a friends-zone situation with a girl for some time and then my feelings catch up to hers as we spend time together; then the chemistry and sexual feelings bubble up.

• Also for both girls I would have some conversation before accepting a date, if her first question to me is to ask me out that would be a bit creepy and I would feel like it's some kind of trick. I would feel like she wants something from me or it's a manipulation if she asks me out without at least a few minutes of talking to me.

You said that you don't rate people. Does that mean you would go out with a guy who you are not physically attracted to or just that you don't actually put a ranking to the level of physical attraction? Also if you did go out with a guy who you were not initially attracted to physically do his 'looks' change in your mind if he is confident and has good character?

Ironically it may also have to do with maturity or life experience. Going back to the initial question I just realized the asker is 16 and I am willing to bet her outlook on life is different than ours for many reasons. In my teens I know I felt differently than I do now.

• Women. Women as a whole tend to be more picky and indecisive in comparison to men. It's just the way they are. In a world where you have a lot of choices, it basically comes naturally.

0|0
    1|0
  • Iโ€™m walking the dog with my shirt on backwards and not giving a fuck! Itโ€™s healthier than eating fun dip. #bangarang

1|0
    0|0
  • Women are the most narcissist materialistic creatures of the world.

0|4
    3|0
  • Both equally care. I highly doubt someone will be with a person they didn't at least find attractive.

1|0
    0|0
  • Women. Some men (sadly) will have sex with anything that moves. You don't see women doing that. Even though a lot could.

1|1
    0|0
  • 100% women...
    Even though a woman doesn't have to look so beautiful so we love her...

1|1
    1|0
  • Women are pickier than men are about looks for casual sex.

Men are pickier than women are about looks for relationships.

Women are pickier than men are about wealth for relationships.

0|0
    0|1
  • Id say men because I've seen hideous men judge women for looks

4|1
    0|1
  • That's easy. Women are looks-obsessed, both their own and others'. It just comes with biologically-induced shallowness.

1|1
    1|0
  • normally Id say women, however Im probably the pickiest person on earth rn ๐Ÿ˜‚

1|0
    0|0
  • 0|1
    1|0
    • The last picture is total bullshit. I'm "neuro-atypical" and not (very) athletic (does martial arts count?). In any case, I'm definitely no "chad", but I have NEVER been single once I decided that I wished to be in a relationship. Then again, I just rock that whole "helpless cuddly nerd" thing really well.

• Show All
    • I'm not lucky, I am logical and methodical. If you approach mating in a haphazard fashion, expect haphazard results.

• @HereIbe The fact that you applied skill doesn't somehow magically negate the effect of luck.

Lots of people are haphazard and they have tremendous success, lots of people are rational and methodical and meet nothing but failure. People can affect the outcome of some rolls of the dice, but many dice are being rolled for us all the time that we have no control over whatsoever.

You really don't want to acknowledge the effect that blind chance has played in your accomplishments? That's not methodical, that's deluded and narcissistic.

• women, shopping centers are designed for women as they are the ones spending.

1|1
    0|0
  • I've tried 7 dating apps so far. 3 matched over 500s of swipes.

Who said women are not picky?

0|2
    0|0
  • Women are.

0|2
    0|0
  • women use make up men dont. so women do.

0|3
    1|0
  • Women obviously.

1|1
    1|0
  • Both equally. Men are just more honest.

1|1
    0|0
  • Based on dating site statistics, it's women.

0|1
    0|0
  • Women worry more about appearance.

0|1
    0|0
  • Women. Duhhh

0|1
    1|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 8

• I think women are just more picky in general with most things.

0|3
    0|0
  • I actually believe men are more picky about looks than women.

4|1
    0|5
  • Girls are more picky when it comes to dating, but its less about looks than it is about personality, interests, life choices etc.
    Men on the other hand are mostly all about looks.

0|0
    0|2
  • Honestly, from what I've witnessed if it's nothing serious women care more, if it's for relationships etc men certainly do.

0|1
    0|1
  • men. Society and the media has made our looks become the most important thing about us.

1|0
    0|5
  • Women

1|4
    0|0
  • Men...

2|0
    0|5
  • I haven't seen a girl in my class who doesn't check themselves on the mirror from time to time

1|3
    0|0

Recommended myTakes