What are your most important rules when going on a date?

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I will be me; on time, dressed up and present; so I expect the date to be the same. I do put weight on first impression where grooming and cleanliness is important; so no "3 days since my last shower", crocs, and sweatpants ;)

I will ask for the person to be genuinely themselves whether that is outspoken and social or introverted and shy - I'm not dating to change somebody, I'm dating to find out if we're compatible :)
    I believe a great date consists of people being attentive, engaged and not on the phone. Both parties. I will have my phone with me but not up. This is a safety thing, for me.

Don't talk about your latest ex, because I won't; and I find doing so is disrespectful even if you want to trash her existence and rise me up.

I will pay half the bill for sure. IF the date insists, then I agree to have the meal payed for, but then I'll pay for the next one (if there is any) or drinks if we're going to sit and just talk afterwards. Contributing is important to me. I don't expect men to pay for me, sharing is much more my style.
    I do like gentlemen behavior (open door/bring out chair) but is a plus more so than expectation. People who never do this any other time shouldn't do it on a date.

What will not happen:
    * First date at his or my place
    * Sex on the first date
    * Drive off someplace together

1|0
    0|0
  • Put down the phone, and even off the dining table. Don't text other people in front of me, or behind my back when I go to ladies room. Don't be stuck on your phone and check so often, and don't guard your phone during our date (s). If you had your phone out on the table, and take it with you when you go to restroom, that's a huge turn off.

Respect, respect, respect. Don't talk about sex. Don't ask me if I'm a virgin or not, unless sex is the only thing you're looking for. Don't touch me without an appropriate context, or my consensual signal.

(For "you" I meant whoever that I'm dating.)

0|0
    0|0
    • And then they get a long voicemail about an accident involving their parents who are no longer alive

• Show All
    • Why wouldn't someone take their phone with them on a first date? If I don't know you I don't trust you enough to have access to my belongings. For all I know you could steal it and leave me with the bill. However, I leave my phone in my pocket, do it doesn't really apply to me.

• That's what I've been saying. Leave the phone in the damn pocket! Don't text here and there, and don't constantly turn the screen on to check texts on a date. That looks lack of dating etiquette. Plus I meant someone who repeated dates you but checks phone and texts on most dates.

Most Helpful Guys

• The most important rule of a date is to do as Bill and Ted say, Be excellent to each other. The first few dates my approach is to think of the lady as a new friend. Just be open but not overly so, don't exaggerate or brag, try to engage in topical conversation without being controversial, allow your sense of humour to shine through and attempt to get her to laugh and have fun, and be respectful and genteel. That's pretty much it and hopefully she's a decent human being.

Also, I always pay for dinner and whatever else we do because it is how I was raised. A fair few guys don't do that today and a good many women think it's sexist, but I don't intend it as a form of mysoginy. I've had a few women offer to pay their half and even when the date was awful and knew I'd never go out with her again I sorted the bill. For me it is manners and that's what you do even if the date has gone off and you know there's zero compatibility.

1|0
    0|0
  • figure out what you and your date have in common and have that be an activity or two to attend/do.
    be: punctual, appropriate, polite (!), groomed, and respectful.
    have a plan.
    have a backup plan.
    have a second backup plan.
    have a bailout plan - be prepared to end it if it starts going off the rails and appears you cannot stop it from failing.
    finally - have her home on time, with their clothes on correctly, and - within your best efforts - remembering you in as good a light as possible.
    always remember that one of the reasons for dating is figuring out whether you would or would not want to date the person again.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 11

• I’m conservative, so the man must be a gentleman. I will offer to pay, but I was raised where the man is who pays. Basically be a decent human being, and don’t try to get physical so soon. If you’re looking for a long term thing, kiss her on the forehead or cheek on the very first date. Long hugs are what girls will remember at the end of the night!

3|0
    1|0
  • Don't be crude. Make sure your clothing is in good repair with no stains.

2|0
    1|0
  • Not to do anything we both aren't comfortable with. Communication and understanding is key.

2|0
    1|0
  • Don’t be on your phone!

2|2
    0|0
  • Um no rules for me.

2|1
    2|1
    • Let's go some place without people, please get into my white windowless van... ;)

• Be honest... Never lie!

0|2
    0|0
  • Pay for my food bitch

2|0
    4|4
    • At least your blatantly sexist. It infuriating that girls like who think their entitled to to shit actually get it.

• Don't get bored..

1|0
    1|0
  • Be yourself. It will help you both to not waste each other’s time

0|0
    0|0
  • No oversharing.
    Dont be a creep or a complete weirdo.
    Dont be too pushy or too needy.
    Try your best to show the other person you are relaxed and want to have fun.

0|0
    0|0
  • No sex on first date

0|2
    0|2

What Guys Said 20

• Be yourself, but don't be a dick. Also, keep it natural. Think of it like you're just hanging out with an interesting person, who happens to be subjectively attractive. If it ain't gonna work, then it ain't gonna work. It's just a date, not a bomb defusal lol. It's okay if it fails

1|0
    1|0
  • Don't put her in the trash bag/barrel until after she's been properly dismembered.
    Don't use too much chloryphorm.
    Remember, gagging is a lot easier than dealing with a bite and a rabies shot.
    Polaroid, not disposable.
    Don't leave the shovel in the woods.

And first and foremost: Be a gentleman. Pay for the damn meal.

0|0
    1|0
  • On a first date, make sure you appear confident in front of your date, it will make them feel more comfortable. Also, make sure you never have your phone out and pay full attention to your date

1|0
    1|0
  • Don’t bother spending money on her unless you know she is going to put out. She has to earn her keep!

0|0
    4|0
  • don't fuck up. that's it. literally the most basic best rule.

1|0
    1|0
  • Act with manners and present yourself with respect.

0|0
    0|0
  • communication and honesty and ABSOLUTELY NO POLITICS

0|0
    1|0
  • 1 remember to put clothes on
    2 try desperately to not say anything weird.

0|1
    1|0
  • Rule #1 Do not talk about fight club

0|0
    1|0
  • No killing

2|1
    1|0
  • Always flush.

0|0
    1|0
  • For you smell nice.

0|0
    0|0
  • "Bitch betta have my money!"

0|0
    1|0
  • Attention

1|0
    0|0
  • Be genuine and honest.

1|0
    0|0
  • She must pay for my food

0|0
    0|0
  • Have respect for each other and relax and have fun

0|0
    1|0
  • Act like a gentleman, and listen more speak less.

0|0
    1|0
  • Just be nice

0|0
    1|0
  • All ways have an out.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes