What are your most important rules when going on a date?

1322

Most Helpful Girls

• I will be me; on time, dressed up and present; so I expect the date to be the same. I do put weight on first impression where grooming and cleanliness is important; so no "3 days since my last shower", crocs, and sweatpants ;)

I will ask for the person to be genuinely themselves whether that is outspoken and social or introverted and shy - I'm not dating to change somebody, I'm dating to find out if we're compatible :)
    I believe a great date consists of people being attentive, engaged and not on the phone. Both parties. I will have my phone with me but not up. This is a safety thing, for me.

Don't talk about your latest ex, because I won't; and I find doing so is disrespectful even if you want to trash her existence and rise me up.

I will pay half the bill for sure. IF the date insists, then I agree to have the meal payed for, but then I'll pay for the next one (if there is any) or drinks if we're going to sit and just talk afterwards. Contributing is important to me. I don't expect men to pay for me, sharing is much more my style.
    I do like gentlemen behavior (open door/bring out chair) but is a plus more so than expectation. People who never do this any other time shouldn't do it on a date.

What will not happen:
    * First date at his or my place
    * Sex on the first date
    * Drive off someplace together

• Put down the phone, and even off the dining table. Don't text other people in front of me, or behind my back when I go to ladies room. Don't be stuck on your phone and check so often, and don't guard your phone during our date (s). If you had your phone out on the table, and take it with you when you go to restroom, that's a huge turn off.

Respect, respect, respect. Don't talk about sex. Don't ask me if I'm a virgin or not, unless sex is the only thing you're looking for. Don't touch me without an appropriate context, or my consensual signal.

(For "you" I meant whoever that I'm dating.)

• And then they get a long voicemail about an accident involving their parents who are no longer alive

• Why wouldn't someone take their phone with them on a first date? If I don't know you I don't trust you enough to have access to my belongings. For all I know you could steal it and leave me with the bill. However, I leave my phone in my pocket, do it doesn't really apply to me.

• That's what I've been saying. Leave the phone in the damn pocket! Don't text here and there, and don't constantly turn the screen on to check texts on a date. That looks lack of dating etiquette. Plus I meant someone who repeated dates you but checks phone and texts on most dates.

Most Helpful Guys

• The most important rule of a date is to do as Bill and Ted say, Be excellent to each other. The first few dates my approach is to think of the lady as a new friend. Just be open but not overly so, don't exaggerate or brag, try to engage in topical conversation without being controversial, allow your sense of humour to shine through and attempt to get her to laugh and have fun, and be respectful and genteel. That's pretty much it and hopefully she's a decent human being.

Also, I always pay for dinner and whatever else we do because it is how I was raised. A fair few guys don't do that today and a good many women think it's sexist, but I don't intend it as a form of mysoginy. I've had a few women offer to pay their half and even when the date was awful and knew I'd never go out with her again I sorted the bill. For me it is manners and that's what you do even if the date has gone off and you know there's zero compatibility.

• figure out what you and your date have in common and have that be an activity or two to attend/do.
    be: punctual, appropriate, polite (!), groomed, and respectful.
    have a plan.
    have a backup plan.
    have a second backup plan.
    have a bailout plan - be prepared to end it if it starts going off the rails and appears you cannot stop it from failing.
    finally - have her home on time, with their clothes on correctly, and - within your best efforts - remembering you in as good a light as possible.
    always remember that one of the reasons for dating is figuring out whether you would or would not want to date the person again.