Do you think someone can find happiness staying single forever? Particularly a woman?

I've been hurt. So badly by someone I never thought would hurt me. Now, I know my standards are high after this relationship but they’re only in place because I can’t picture myself trusting a man if he didn’t meet these new impossible standards.
i don’t hate men. I love men and understand them. I just don’t want one anymore and don’t believe I ever will.
Do you think that a fulfilling career and good friends can keep me happy? I don’t want to be lonely, but I’d feel lonely in a relationship anyway.

3468

Most Helpful Guys

• I think someone can be single and be a happy person.

Flip side is... as much as I hate to admit it... I think there might not be any greater joy on earth than finding that special person. Think about the story of Adam and Eve. God created man and was friends with him, and would talk with him... but it wasn't enough. God himself decided that Adam, with the Garden of Eden, able to walk and talk with God, wasn't enough.

finedayquote.com/.../...or-the-man-to-be-alone.jpg

Most Helpful Girls

• First you need to be happy on your own. If you can’t be happy alone how can you be happy when your with someone? I’ve been single for almost 2 years after a 7 year relationship and I’m ok with that. I’d rather be alone then in a relationship I’m not happy in, I don’t “Need” somebody to be complete. Also you can’t hold what your past relationships have brought over the heads of those your with in that time, don’t punish the men your with for the issues the men you were once with did to you, why’re not all that way. If you still have faith in men then why are you asking this question? Are there times of loneliness? Absolutely, but I’m ok with that for myself. I will keep living my life and after the relationship I’ve been in my standards are high and I’ll never settle for anything less than anything because I know what I have to offer a relationship and with that being said, things will work out. I will not be alone forever but the right man will come when I’m not looking for it but as I’m living my life doing me, and not expecting it. Have faith, it’ll all work out, even though at the time it may not feel like it!

• I can never understand why people think happiness can be found in relationships when there are countless ways to make yourself happy. I mean, if a person thinks that their relationship makes them happy then good for them, doesn’t mean everyone’s gonna have the same.

I just don’t believe that we should ever rely on a partner for happiness. I think happiness is something we have to find on our own. Sometimes relationships don’t really cure loneliness, especially when you’ve felt lonely for nearly your whole life, been through crappy relationships, traumatic experiences, etc.

But I guess everyone has their own definition of happiness, I’ve been in relationship before and I did enjoy them but when they came to an end, of course I was upset but I decided to focus on my own being and do things that I enjoy. I don’t really remember when’s the last time I yearned for a relationship. I’m still happy with my hobbies, my passion, etc. Maybe this can be the same for you

• perfectly well said!! our lives and happiness doesn't depend on other people! we have to learn to love ourselves first and be strong and independent. if someone wants to come along for the journey then great! but if not it won't be a problem because you will be happy either way :)

• @ShesAmerican tbh i think the whole love and happiness thing is blown way out of proportion and made into a bigger deal than it really is by hollywood and romance movies. in my opinion love cannot exist because the idea of love is way to ideal and perfect and people are only human and nowhere near perfect. people make mistakes and change their minds and change into different people so to put all your happiness on a single person is crazy and you are guaranteed to be let down or betrayed

• @vald9inches To me love does exist. I think love still has its purpose, I just think people don’t know how love works or how to love a person exactly. It’s a big responsibility and not a lot of people know how to handle the responsibility. I just don’t see the point of constantly chasing for it when you have other things to focus on like your well-being and your passion, just wait for the time to come because nobody is sure what the future holds