Is he shy, insecure or what else?

I've been with a great guy for almost six months. He's told me he has feelings for me and he finds me very attractive. He has no problems complimenting me or telling me how I make him feel.
But he has a hard time accepting how I feel about him. When I tell him I find him attractive he laughs and tells me he's nothing to look at.
When we talk for a long time he asks if he's bothering me. He sends me selfies but when I ask for one he gets weird about it and says he's nothing special.
I compliment him and tell him how special he is but he won't change. why is he like that?

12