This might sound weird, but it seems like my best friend and I can only close the awkwardness if we date?

I don't know if this is something people can even recognize, but there is a small barrier between my best friend and I. We have known each other for four years, but recently he has admitted that he has liked me the entire four years and still does. The situation is a little complex. He used to be a really confusing guy and therefore, I never considered being involved with him. However, now, he is being transparent with me, and I have felt things before that I have not. I have felt a twinge of jealousy with him being around another girl (nothing serious, but subtly at one point it was there). This confused me because I just didn't really know how to interpret. Then, my best friend says he's not even sure if he wants to get out of the friend zone because in general, he's afraid to lose a solid relationship (whether dating or friendship). But, finally, I think deep down there is still some awkwardness and I do feel that it comes from potentially some sexual tension. I think maybe the actual step to move away from that and forward might be to actually date or break this friend zone. I'm honestly just kind of unsure. Thoughts?

02