First dates and paying?

What do you think?

I just came back from a date (it went well!) And I got the opportunity to flabbergast my date because I asked if we could split the bill, we went to a steakhouse.

For me, first dates means getting to know each other. I'm there to get to know the person, act cute and make cheesy awkward ass jokes, etc. As a girl who knows what she likes to eat, I always end up getting the more... pricer things. I'm not a greedy person, I just don't hide the fact that I love prime rib, or seafood or if I'm in the mood for ribs, I like to get a full rack cause I love leftovers ( my love for good ribs is one that can't be silenced) so I ALWAYS make sure I bring enough. Even movie dates, I love it if one buys the tickets the other buyssnacks. I just hate trying to enjoy myself and always worry about what to get or worry about who's paying, I just wanna split it and enjoy the others company.

What are your thoughts?
  • Asker has to pay
  • Men pays always
  • Split the bill
    Vote C
  • Other
    Vote D

37

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that's cool but usually I insist on paying for the first date since it's my idea. Not only am I the one asking, I'm the one planning, making reservations, and usually I'm the one who is more interested in the girl than she might be interested in me (I picked her out, after all and took the initiative to ask).

You might be an exception but most girls I've found respond better to that... not just insisting on paying for the date, but leading on the date, showing initiative, coming up with ideas of where to go instead of asking her where she wants to go... leading, basically. And so I learned to lead girls around on dates -- paying is a part of that.

• A girl would actually throw me off my element if she insisted on paying. It's like messing up my whole plan to lead her and guide her... like are we supposed to be like "friends" now and just ask each other where we want to go? I thought I'm in charge in this scenario. I don't know how to impress girls when I'm not in charge.

• Modern dating perplexes me that way.. I might be a dinosaur. Like friends with benefits. I've slept with friends before but not the way people describe.. I asked them on dates and lead them around and seduced them... I was never like, "Hey girl, wanna have sex? Your place or mine?" That's amazing that people can do that... but it's so different from how I think about courtship.

• "Oh, you're having sex with Joe tonight? How about tomorrow? Bob? I see. Do you have any room in your schedule to have sex with me? Lemme know when you are free! I'll bring pizza!" Like that -- amazing that guys can get away with it. I have no idea how to approach things that way -- like casual sex is no problem, but still my whole developed approach is ask girl out, date, lead, pay, seduce.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would most likely just pay for my own stuff. Otherwise, if I would expecting the guy to pay I couldn't "allow" myself to order anything I would actually enjoy but would get the cheapest options possible instead. I guess thats kind of a weird habit but I also do the same when a friend or even a relative invites me for dinner.