What to do when he doesn’t take the hint?

I’ve been seeing someone and “broke it off” with him about a month ago because he isn’t giving me what I want in a relationship. I fell in love with him, so it’s hard to say good bye. I’ve been keeping my options open because he is non-commital. I feel we have been on and off, but his definition of off is seeing other people. He hasn’t. I’ve gone on dates but nothing has transpired from them. He just has a lot of “baggage” he’s dealing with, and expects me to understand. I do, but tell him he can keep me in the loop instead of disappearing. I can’t handle when he goes without communicating for two weeks and then pops up when he feels like it. We started talking again and I fear nothing will change. I told him I have expectations of us moving forward. Don’t know if I want to risk it. I want to be with someone I see a future with and he sees a future with me.
I thought I have been, lol. We have known each other for 2 years, so I think there’s comfort there. I just don’t consider it a relationship, but more like companionship.

01