I know he likes me at lot, so what does his hot and cold behaviour mean?

So this guy is pretty into me, always texting first, asking me to meet up, complimenting me etc. I like him a lot, and he knows what this.

When he’s going through a hot phase, he seems eager to talk to me and always replies quickly when I text him. However, he will then go through a cold phase when he seems less engaged in conversation/takes ages to reply etc.

For example, yesterday I went round to his place and we spent time together cuddling etc. It felt amazing between us, better than it’s ever been; he made comments about the future of the relationship (in a positive way) and implied he was glad to be dating me. Today though, he seemed more distant, not replying to my texts and generally not seeming as eager to talk. Just as I think things are going great, he always seems to pull away a little.

I know for a fact he likes me a lot, and wants our relationship to last, so what does this hot and cold behaviour mean?

11