What is true love? How does it feel? Does it really exist?

I am about to have a fourth break up and which makes me think all of the above.. how does it feel and how do you know if you have the right one or 'this is it' moment? I have nothing special in my current relationship, I am just wasting efforts, money and time which makes me wonder does it really exist or is it all an illusion?

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• True love is loving someone like you never love someone before. True love is loving someone and don’t expect he/she loves you back (explanation: these days people love someone and when he/she doesn’t love them back, then they move on).

But and then, true love when the other person doesn’t loves you back isn’t complete. True love is like someone destined for you. The relationship might be hard but you guys always fight for it because you love each other so much. True love is the love your grandpa told you about his love story with your grandma.

True love exists. It’s just that this modern type of dating ruined it. Maybe you should find someone who is old-fashioned. It works better in my opinion.

0|0
    0|0
    • How does that work when you love someone and you don't get loved in the same intense way? That's the exact issue I am facing

• Show All
    • Wow. mikhania.. you gave me renewed hope

• I am glad to hear that!(:

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 51

• I felt an intense magnetic like draw towards her from my chest. She felt it also towards me. I saw a woman in front of me but I felt her at the same time. The best way I can explain it is that our energies enveloped each other and they did not want to release. We married once done high school, started our careers. Life was awesome, then she died and it has been a difficult struggle to want to continue without her.

6|2
    0|0
  • It's real.
    Good fuck it is definitely real.
    I've had women I thought I was in love with.
    And I have a woman I know for sure I'm in love with.
    How do I know it?
    Because I can explain to you how the others felt.
    This one I unfortunately cannot. She's just... fuck. Fuck is the only adjective I can accurately think of. And really it still doesn't do a whole lot of justice. I just simply cannot describe it. I mean when I'm away from her I feel stressed, hot and clamy and very tense. When I'm with her I feel... There's just no descriptor. I'm sorry. But I've learned that the way to tell when you love someone is that you just feel so desperately um... attatched that you just simply cannot put the feeling into words. And there is legitimately nothing more than this Human Being that you want in the world.
    I just... it's like I'm a Wolf. And I caught the single greatest diamond-coated Deer in the entire herd.
    That's a really horrible analogy.
    I'm sorry.
    I just can't describe it. Like I'm not complete or I'm not whole or I'd die without having her in my life. Like I literally cannot function properly without having her or at least knowing that I can see her in a day. It's just... it is.
    And that's how I know that there is really such a thing as love.

My parents are divorced. I feel it's relevant.

2|0
    0|0
  • Infactuation last between 1 year and 1 1/2 years after that love must be cultivated through memories, experiences. Like a tree the seed must be planted and cultivated until it becomes strong and even then it must be protected when attacked.

4|0
    0|0
  • 8 years back it was the time after my first painful breakup, I was frustrated , insecure and had lost trust & faith in love. After couple of months when I first saw her I somehow knew she was the one for me, and I was really tough for me and her in initial stage, I was in a delima if it will work or not and was having trouble connecting with her. But After couple of months things started going awesome and we were together since. Every relationship had its ups and downs, we too had ours fair share of fights and things even came to point aid breaking apart. But there never had been a fight which lasted over couple of days between us. We both care for each other genuinely that we never let an argument stay long between us. We do intend to be together for rest of out life. So far it has been real hard to convince her family but we haven't given up we are trying to make them agree as none of us want to run and elope together without her family involved.
    See what I believe is it maybe hard to find true love but it's more of fate and destiny too. From personal experiences and what I have seen with breakups is people rush in a relationship pretty quickly and one of them start making efforts to make it work but things work out differently love is a 2 way street, it only works if both people give their best in commitment, compassion, care, trust, respect and are willing to sacrifice things the love to be together.
    Good luck

0|1
    0|0
  • It is out there! It is real, but it takes a lot of energy, millions tons of patience and huge amount of sacrifice equally from both sides.

3|0
    1|0
    • So true love is all hard work then? Then how is it unique? We can put efforts with any person to work it out

• I great man once said '' Truth is! Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for ''

When you put your energy on someone and they do the same back, there you have it.

• Yes and no. It certainly doesn't exist as in does in the fiction people carry around with them. I've written this so many times people. may be sick of it but the entire concept of romantic love did not exist until a confluence of events including, the second papacy in Avignon (southern france), the existing laws of primogeniture (the eldest son inherits 100% of father's property, and the sudden mass of people living in that area from which most crusades were staged; created a lot of temporary & permanent single women and men who were not the eldest and therefore sent on crusades happened to create a world in which song to women who belonged (or belongs- sorry for phraseology) to another man were lonely and there were many young men around. Poetry sung by minstrels were written and tournaments featuring mock war- jousting. This was the cauldron from which romantic love springs- in most cases unrequited love.

Before that nobody even thought in those terms. Love is an ambiguous word that begins as infatuation and often sex multiple times a day as 2 people. "seduce" each other, morphs into much less passion but sometimes a respect and a deeper "like" of someone. To try to include the real feelings of desire and lust, reasonably happy togetherness,, w/o the white hot burn of the 1st year... those are all real feelings that actually happen. If that is your definition of true love than yes, to most people it's not so in that case sorry but its a fiction perpetuated by conservative religious groups, society, hollywood. No different tan the 50's TV shows of Father Knows Best or Leave it to Beaver accurately portrayed family life. They didn't but everyone compared their dysfunctional families to them and when the truth fell short, felt cheated.

Wow, I can be f

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not sure about TRUE love, but I certainly know about love. Once I felt what love was like, adding the 'true' modifier in front of the word 'love' didn't mean a damn thing. I can't define love in words, and I can't speak for how other people may have experienced it. But I can tell you how I did. I'll try my best but hopefully I will be able to describe it in a way you might be able to understand or relate to. This was about 20 years ago, I was 19 at the time, but the the thing I remember most about the first girl I fell in love with was that the love I felt for her was so profound, so powerful it actually hurt. It was almost debilitating at first. Whenever I found myself around her I turned into an utter fool. Frighteningly rapid heartbeat almost to the point of passing out, I'd forget simple things, I couldn't be smooth, I'd stutter, and I don't normally do those things when I am around a woman I am attracted to. Have you ever had your heart broken, like really hurt? It's similar to that but blissful instead of crushing. The feeling comes from the same place physically in your core and stomach and spreads throughout your limbs. Its a dull (as in not sharp) almost electric feeling of euphoria and happiness. Its almost painful at first, but once you get used to it, it becomes a little uncomfortable, then after that it's just bliss. It's a longing ache and it's most powerful when you are right next to them, hear their voice, or even smell them. It's a MASSIVE feeling, incomparable to anything else. Once you feel that for someone, there is simply NO ONE else who can catch your eye, there is NO ONE else you are even remotely interested in. In fact no one even compares to her or him, not even close. That person becomes more important to you than living itself. That's what it was like for me when I first felt it, so yes, LOVE MOST CERTAINLY EXISTS, I've lived it. It is a very unique and extraordinary thing to feel for someone else, and undoubtedly, you WILL ABSOLUTELY KNOW when it happens to you. And yes, it WILL happen to you. Some have to wait longer than others, and not everyone that feels that way stays together, which is what happened with me. Also, if you do find someone you feel that way about and it doesn't work out, don't worry. It may feel devastating when it happens, but there WILL BE OTHERS. I'm sorry if that wasn't what you were expecting or wanting to hear, but I hope I gave you some sense of what it feels like.

2|1
    0|0
  • The things that annoy become the things you love.

I dislike groups of people. I have down right refused to go to fun places because of that dislike. In my mind a group of people is only one step away from following a crazy man and becoming a mob. If there's going to be more than eight people there and I have a choice, I won't go. I even shop between 2am and 4am to avoid most of you. That's me on a daily basis. When I was in love, I went were she went and wanted. Not because I liked those places but because I wanted to watch this Amazing Woman, who for some reason loved me, interact with the world. She was living Art to me and I had to see her in motion.

It feels like a great nights sleep.

It's one of the simplest ways I can describe it. Picture your head laying on a nice cool pillow and the blankets moving in-sync with you as you sleep. Maintaining a constant comfortable body temp the whole night then waking up relaxed and energetic at the same time. Your dreams become childish and sweet even when they're a bit dark. I used to dream about my Fiancee and I trying to survive in dystopian future a lot. I would always be concerned about stockpiling food and weapons the whole dream, trying to get her to do the same. She was worried about... toilet paper. She had suitcases of the stuff that she wouldn't abandon! Her only retort when trying to dissuade her was "People trade the most for the little comforts." That happened in at least 3 dreams. (Guess what I got for Christmas that year.) In reality she was my Comfort. I didn't have to be anything other than me around her. I never had to watch my words around her. I spoke freely and felt no judgement.

Does it exist...

Yes and you won't question it when you find it. You won't be thinking "Is this love?" you'll be thinking "Holy Crap! I'm in Love." I spent a good portion of my past relationships constantly wondering if this was it. I never settled on an answer until I met Jackie. I was just trying to make this quiet and reserved Fox smile more at work when I met her. Within a month of dating her I found not only that this was Love but I was bettering myself for her without her asking or nagging me. In the four years we had we never fought. She became my confidant, best friend, partner in crime and eventually my whole Universe. And even with her gone for almost six years now I'm still very much in love with her.

0|1
    0|0
  • From my pov the one is the person who makes you happiest, the moment they stop doing that they cease to be the one, and subsequently, the one can change frequently if someone is not a consistent marker for happiness in your life.

0|0
    1|0
  • I think I've seen it. Read about it. Heard about it. But hell if I know. I thought I had found it. I was sure, more than the next day was coming. Aaaand.. She left me. So.. Who the f knows.

0|0
    0|0
  • True love.. i would say keep your expectations low.. try to give more than receiving... i never found true love thing.. actually these romantic movies makes our expectations too high.. for me true love would be A simple good looking sweet girl who can make me complete accept me as me.. later i would chabge for her.. but she must nit force me for doing anthing 😳

0|0
    1|0
  • You'll never know for sure. It's something you can't describe. You can be sure you love someone, it not end well, then feel something even more than you did before for someone new, and this can happen again and again. It's up to you to decide when you're in love and no one else can tell you otherwise. Not to sound Corney, but it really is a matter of following your heart. You might get your heart broken a few times on the way, but it'll be worth it when you find it.

0|1
    0|0
  • As I see it, there are two kinds of love, one is biological, it's the instant one, it's the passion, it's hormones working, it leads to short-lived relationships more often than not but sometimes the other love is built and they endure.
    The other love is worked upon, is knowing that person is right, and working towards that, it needs commitment and can't be one sided, this one leads to long lasting usually old school relationships.
    One is rational and committed the other is brash and lustful

0|0
    0|0
  • You know love the moment you see it, and feel it.
    If you talk to a guy and you still don't feel l it, go to another, it's mostly by second sight I get true love.
    First I see the girl, then I move on, and think if I have some feelings for her or stuff..
    And then the next time I see her I just know

0|0
    0|0
  • Honestly... I had my doubts. However I have a friend, and he speaks about her girlfriend with fcking passion. Like sht from a romance movie. Amen. I hang out with him and legit like listening to his stories of how they met and sht. It's real my friends. I don't know how, I don't know sht, but holy hell. I know I'm never getting that nice romance no matter what. I think you just need to be lucky or something

0|0
    0|0
  • True love is unconditional and therefore not gonna happen in a couple. True love is a kid that misses his sister on her first day of school. True love is when a woman goes to see her sick mother at the hospital every day. True love is a family bond and not related to relationships. As usual here is my opinion on it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've been threw 4 myself and am literally wishing I know these answers I know exist, but can't seem to find the reasoning for them. Four times the answers just said fuck you, and good bye. Now I just wait for the next moment my heart breaks.

0|1
    0|0
    • I'm 21 and nothing hurts more than hearing the one you cherish say goodbye.

• Love is when you value a person more than yourself, you're both honest and loyal to each other even beyond the honeymoon phase, etc. Like really, really close best friends who fuck a lot.

1|0
    0|0
  • Hi there,
    True love is depends on the people, some people thinks love is only for sex. Some thinks its like whole life with the same people. Some thinks its boring. Some thinks its time pass.. I fell it as all above..

0|0
    0|0
  • Love is a false representation fueled by society, advertised on TV, movies, internet, so on and so on, only to serve one purpose to keep you depressed and under the governments control. So love is non existent.

0|0
    0|1
  • True love does exist. Not everyone gets to experience it and sometimes when you feel true love the other person doesn't. The rarest true live is when both people feel incomplete without the other. Part of their body and soul exist within the other. There are down times and times when you'll fight, but the struggle together as a team and partner pair are what sustain you and bind you closer together. Think about old married couples and how when one dies the other goes soon after. The loss of your other half is too great and I believe the soul yearns to rejoin with theirs in the next adventure in the afterlife. True love is selfless.

0|0
    0|0
  • True love does exist. It’ll come your way only once. So you’d better recognize it.

How so? Well let’s see what it’s not. It shouldn’t be all about how he feels around you. A mom does feel true love for her child. She would literally think of him first. So I guess you could think of it as not being egocentric.

Now what is it? Poets around the world have written about it. Painters have tried to paint it. Singers have tried to sing it. They came close but none succeeded. There’s no real definition of what love is. You can only define it by the impact it has on you.

Love is not rational. You’re gonna have to trust your instincts to recognize it. Knowing that sometimes they’ll be wrong.

0|2
    0|0
  • It's a thing which isn't felt with just anybody.
    No idea how does it feel.
    I think it exists.

1|0
    0|0
  • From my own very perspective of this, one has to absolutely be willing to sacrifice themselves, willing to die or risk their own life and limb for somebody they "love", or at least "believes/believed" that they "love". That is the closest thing to "true" love, and it has to be of one's own choice made freely of one's own will. This requires huge amounts of trust, because there is no going back.

But even then, I still question whether this and challenge whether this is merely blind loyalty, obsession, faith, emotional attachments?

Just for the record, I've never been in any relationship, and can't relate to those that had and had been through breakups and splits before.

0|0
    0|0
  • True love is something like a feel that makes u think if I die there will be a person who will be affected the most and if u die they will be the most effected...

0|0
    0|0
  • Loyalty, honesty, compatibility, and being fully open. If those in your relationship; guard it with your life because it's a rare to find it again my dear :)

0|0
    0|0
  • it's like you don't need to talk much. 2 people can feel comfortable and they stay for a long time together. I don't know.. I had some chances but I couldn't get connected.

0|0
    0|0
  • true love is when you meet not just the one who will be your companion and you theirs but is also your soul mate, someone who'm you both are so madly and strongly in love with that when they are not near you, you feel the loss... both of you accept each other's faults/flaws and embrace each other as they are..

it feels like love but with far far more meaning, but if you lose it... it could devastate you and them beyond belief...

and yes it does exist but it is one of those rare things that happen under rare instances, when you both find each other and click on every level

0|0
    0|0
  • If you are looking for the rush of "true" love, well that doesn't last. What you want is someone who you will still appreciate after that cocaine-like feeling subsides, as it must. And that takes mutual feelings, and the willingness to love in a real sense, after the fog has fallen from your eyes and you see that your chosen one is not perfect - but just perfect for you. Then you can really appreciate what you have between you, and understand that there are bumps in the road. But you can take them because you make each other better people.

1|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 18

• True love is when u don't want anyone else ( that also includes : not looking , checking out other people , not getting horny over others and etc..) but only your SO
    Yes it still exist
    I found my true love it awsome.

1|0
    0|0
    • Glad you did ☺️

• Show All
    • And so much more

• I have the similar ideas about it..

• To me it’s when you truly know someone and through it all, your feelings stay the same/get stronger. And when I say know someone, you have to see them at very low points in their life. You must have complete trust and loyalty to this person. And to me, it’s almost a quiet peace with them.

Love is not what you see in romantic movies. It’s more of being around your best friend. And yes, it exist. It’s just that people seem the “fake romance “ from media.

2|0
    0|0
  • To put it simple: a person can potentially have many true loves. It’s a person who you will grow to love his/her flaws, and it is when both of you decide to work on the relationship instead of letting go during difficult times. True love is a constant work in progress, instead of a convenient existence.

0|0
    0|0
  • True love does exist, but its hard to find. it makes 'you' feel special and if you think that you can't live without that person and when start liking that persons everything and if you feel like 'no matter what i'll never let him go' then its true love and if the guy turely loves you he will never leave your side no matter what

2|1
    0|0
  • Sometimes love isn't ready for you. As you may think you are. Destiny comes when you are mature and ready. 4 break ups. You should done your self analysis after the first 2. Love is like a job. You go their to impress your lover. Your first date is your interview. You got the job when you officially become a couple in relationship. So in that analysis you were fired 4 times. Who would hire you for love.

1|1
    0|0
  • I can't say yes for myself because... I'm almost 30 and single. I've felt love before. But I'm not sure how to answer because of my current situation. I would like to think that true love does exist. It takes work though too... Which many people aren't willing to put in like before

1|1
    0|0
  • I don't know. Maybe true love is subjective, its mark is unique to each person that it touches. I thought I felt it once, maybe it has come, now gone and passed for me. I mean the feelings for this person has never gone away and I don't know if it ever will, but sometimes I wonder if I was/am more stuck on the idea of them and I thought our relationship would pan out. If I did feIt it I would say that meeting eyes will make you forget everything, even if it's for a split second you'll experience momentary amnesia, the only thing that will exist is their soul peering into yours. It's when you know eachother without ever having to speak one word.

1|0
    1|0
  • Not sure. I imagine it wouldn’t last long. There is a honey moon period and than life. I am guessing it would be like having a new family member that you fancy.

0|0
    1|0
  • Ask the old people they'll tell you if it does or not 👵😊

2|0
    0|0
  • Never felt it and doubt that I ever will. I think it may exists for some people only. I am not one of them.

0|0
    0|0
  • True love to me is when I see elderly couple walking down the street hand in hand, so yes I do believe it exists.

0|0
    0|0
  • You know u r in love when you wake up in the morning and can't wait for him to wake up

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t believe in true love.

0|0
    0|0
  • True love absolutely exists.

0|0
    1|0
  • maybe i took ayahuasca

0|0
    1|0
  • I believe true love definitely does exist. Some say it’s just like being in a movie. It’s you and him against the world. It’s like you can’t stop texting or calling him. You think about him every single day. Like nothing can stop the feeling you have for him. I believe that you will know when you love that person. For example.. like Romeo and Juliet. They couldn’t live without each other. Literally. It’s like they were made to really care for one another. You will know when your in love. I really believe that. You will find the one. Just need to be patient.

0|0
    1|0
    • I thought I did and I am crazy about this person although he has a lot of flaws but I really love him very dearly but I just don't feel the same love and care coming from his side

• What is love , baby dont hurt me

1|0
    0|1
  • True love is you bring happy with God, who loves you so much... then you would not ever hurt or get angry at your partner because your joy is complete already with God being your everything. True love is wanting to be loved by God, being more and more how God wants you to be, believing you are lovable and loved. Yeah I am religious. My religion helps me love others more. I have been with my husband 9 years. Lots of downs and a few ups but mostly we go through hard times. Those times help to test our love for each other.

0|0
    1|0

Recommended myTakes