Can I assume he ghosted me if I never made any effort to contact him again either?

I sometimes think about an old flame and how amazing our chemistry and sex was then quickly come to the conclusion we fizzled out because he stopped writing me. However, when I’m thinking about it fairly, I know that I never made any effort to write him or show my feelings for him when I had the chance so can I really put the blame on him? I hid my feelings to protect myself from rejection.
A year later after no contact at all he ended up texting me out of the blue to see how I was doing and if he could see me again. I didn’t reply because I knew he had a new girlfriend and replying just didn’t feel right. He wrote me again the next day calling me out for not replying to his text. Again, I didn’t reply.
Everyone tells me to forget about it but for some reason I can’t. I keep hoping time will make my feeling go away.
I would assume if he had really been that interested in me he would have made it known, which is the most hypocritical thing I could say. What should I do in this position? Should I keep riding it out hoping time fixes all? So much time has passed that I think it would be somewhat weird to profess my feelings for him now. My conscience wouldn’t allow me to do that especially while he has a girlfriend. I feel I need an answer or some type of closure. Has anyone else been in a similar situation or have any advice on what I can do to move on?

12