What should I do in this situation?

A few days ago, I asked my friend to homecoming—as a date, not as friends. I haven't known her for very long so we aren't super close but she still said yes and we both like each others company although it can be a little awkward still at times.

But thats the problem. Things never really seem to go really well between us whenever we hang out. One of my close friends is one of her bestfriends and they share so many inside jokes and it kinda makes me jealous. I know she doesn't like him romantically, but it still bothers me a little bit because we cannot connect like the two of them do. Whenever we talk (in person) the conversations are kind of dry and uncomfortable. I’m naturally shy and have a hard time opening up to people so that doesn't help either.

I just dont know what to do. I still like her as more than a friend and I think she does too but we dont know each other well enough to date. It would just end up being super awkward. How can we get more comfortable with each other and not have everything seem so weird? Sorry for this weird rant/confusing thing, I’m just kinda like depressed about the whole situation right now because I dont know what to do.

10