When it comes to dating I am absolutely terrible. Can I get some advice?

I'm socially awkward and tend to mess things up when I can't come up with conversation topics.. It seems the girls i go on dates with don't make much of an effort either and i don't know what to do about it. I'm the type of person who thinks logically, sometimes i tend to over think things and just psyche myself out when its not flowing. I'm an indoorsy person who likes anime, video games, and nerdy things, i don't enjoy parties or anything of the sort, i'm 100% an introvert. I don't want to be uncomfortable with someone and I want to be me. Now here's the thing that throws people off. Naturally i'm very athletic and look like a jock (6" and a lean 200lbs) This make it so i attract the preppy type girls that are not like me at all. When i go for the nerdy type girls that i find pretty i end up being told im not their type right away (first approach) and it confuses the crap out of me. So any advice?
6' :) i had a little typo

01