Why people expect me to engage with them first, should I just avoid these types of people?

I move a lot, and I've been to different places a lot and something feels oddly strange when I am engaging with people to find friendships or more.

I've always engaged with people for several years now because they wouldn't engage with me if I never talk to them. This always led to terrible situtations where I was just made in to peoples B**** and I end up complaining about why I get treated like trash from people.

For a while as of now (while continue moving and meeting new people), I focus on myself, I work on myself, and I build myself to be a happier person. Yet, people still don't ever want to engage with me unless I engage with them. People will look at me and expect me to say a word to them but I don't and then they make it seem like I am doing very bad that I am not engaging with them. In work settings, this could be bad because I need help in work and people don't want to help me because I don't engage with them.

When I try to start going back to putting all the work in engaging and everything, again I just be used a their B***** and nothing more.

I want friends and relationship but I am so sick of putting all the work in everything to start while they just sit there and act dumb and pretend I don't exist unless I pamper them.

01