I am 21 and he is 16?

Greetings everyone!
I've recently started corresponding with a guy. We've met in the same community and I chatted him up not expecting much of it. Turns out we had lots of common interests and also he was quite mature approaching subjects a few guys of my age lacked (depressed, not much going on and lack of communication).
I started to fancy him and he obviously did as well, I always knew his age and even when I told him he was too young to be with me he responds "I might be younger but I treat you way better than a guy your age would".
We are planning to meet in a few days and I'm scared the gap might be too much, also I'm afraid his parents will freak out or even if he will handle the pressure of dating an older gal...
What do you guys think? Am I insane?

33

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't date anyone under 18 and I've been that way ever since I was 19. When 18 maybe if they were 17. Though the laws where I come from it's legal for a 19 year old to date a 14 year old and a 20 year old to date a 15 year old. 16 is the age of consent.

My best argument is see what the laws are where you live and you can use that to talk to his parents about it. it's going to be a touchy subject because a lot of people won't like someone over 18 dating their child who is still in high school (and understandably so). Others will be more accepting.

Most Helpful Girl

• Really depends what country you're from. I would recommend looking up the age of consent for your country/state and go from there. If it's 16, go for it, if it's 18, back away as you could get him into trouble.