Would you talk to a person on a dating site with poor grammar?

Or am I being too harsh? I don't care for slang and it's hard when people don't use punctuation. So how important is dating app grammar etiquette? Just curious, or am I being a jerk?
Updates:
Thanks all. I met a man on a dating sight, we've been texting a little now and again. Since we've been chatting via text, his grammar is different than his profile. When we first started messaging, I didn't understand a word, but now it's more clear. I've never mentioned to him about it, because I didn't want to insult him and I like him. So, we both are good, lol.

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• No, I think grammar is and spelling play a role in determining if a partner is right for us. How someone dresses, talks, carries themselves, even represents themselves on their social media can tell you about what they value and if those values align with your own.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think you're being unreasonable at all, I also don't think a person talks the way they text in some situations.
    I would talk with someone who in my opinion had poor grammar, I doubt if I'd be interested in a guy like that, it's not a dating site but take a look at GAG and see how many questions & answers use proper grammar, many times you need to read between the lines then form your own conclusion, what drives me crazy is when someone doesn't know when to use singular & plural.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 6

• It.. depends. If it is clearly intentional aka they are using stylized writing to add character to their texts, I usually prefer that actually- I likely do that as well. the problem is, the other person doesn't always get 'it' and they just think you are a dummy.

If it is poor grammar as in punctuation, wrong word spellings etc. I will lose interest in a heartbeat. I also can't stand'text speak' such as irl, tbh and others.

0|0
    0|0
  • if they had dyslexia then I wouldn't have a problem with it, but if it is some kind of gangsta talking crap then sorry I'm gone

1|0
    0|0
  • If they were ESL sure but if English is their first language I expect them to put a little effort in to their messages.

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely not. That's such a turn off.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. It shows they are super lazy.

0|0
    0|0
  • That depends. If they are using text abbreviations, I doubt we would be compatible. Same goes with huge grammatical errors, obviously (and consistently) incorrect sentance structure, consistent misspelling of trivial words, etc.
    For the most part however, unless errors are glaringly obvious, I don't even notice them. I make errors too, so to complain about that would be hypocritical.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Depends. If their grammar is poor because they're learning English then yes I'd talk to them but if they are just lazy and don't want to use grammar then probably not.

1|0
    0|0
  • I completely agree with you. Whether or not they are it makes them appear illiterate and lazy.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes