Guys, Do you like hearing this phrase from a woman you like?

Say she says or texts you “I feel safe around you” or “you’re so manly and protective of me. It’s hot” or “you make me feel safe”

or would you much rather her tell you “I admire the person you are”

what are you thinking when you hear those?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• If its from my SO than I'd like it. But I'd find it weird if it was from someone I barely knew or if she said it over the phone or with a text message (I can't protect you from another location). Tell me that when we're hugging or cuddling. It would make me feel more macho than Randy Savage.

0|0
    0|0
    • That’s a really good point. Yea I can see how over text message it seems weird

• Now I wish I put an "OH YEAH" after Randy Savage.

• Any of the first three would be a lovely compliment as long as I thought it was genuine.

The last one isn’t specific, which makes it seem like a generic platitude and not as genuine. It would be much better to tell him *why* you admire him. Is it his compassion? His ability to write C++ programs? His choice of breakfast cereal?

In short, if you say “I admire the person you are”, you’ll just leave him wondering… why?

0|1
    0|0
    • That’s a really good point. I wasn’t a fan of “I admire the person you are”. The first 3 are definitely genuine. He got me through a period where I was having issues with my dad and he encouraged me to block him bc I didn’t deserve to be treated like that, he also tried to get my ex fired when I showed up one day with bruises on me and he listened to me and checked up on me constantly and pretty much helped me with anything I needed, without ever expecting anything in return. I never had to ask him for help. He just took charge. I want to express what that meant to me but I can’t seem to put into words

• Show All
    • Ok yea he might downplay it for sure but I do want him to be touched. He thinks very low of himself and I want to lift him up and know he matters to someone

• It sounds like you two are a good match… taking care of each other.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• It seems hard to believe that a person would REALLY know the "person that you are" well enough to be able to honestly state the general compliment. The first three are very focused and the "admire" compliment could be made more similarly focused. I, personally, wouldn't mind hearing ANY of those.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yea you’re right. I don’t really like generalized compliments. Well something that was specifically him was he always was so quick to help me in anything I needed and got me through some really difficult times yet he never expected anything in return. I really valued that about him. Another one is he gave great advice and I admired the way he thought and his opinions. Also, his sense of humor was playful and inappropriate and unlike any other guys I knew. Is any of that good? Which one would mean the most to you

• I'd value the advice and opinions (whether or not I followed them is another story, but at least I'd have an additional viewpoint of things). As far as weird humor, I already have enough of that for two people! ;- ) Maybe the playful/ non sequitur type of humor is his way of relaxing you?

• Ok thank you. Yea the advice and value opinion one I feel goes more with his personality. Less lovey dovey and more about who he is

• I'd probably be a little weirded out initially if it was just dropped randomly out of nowhere, but I wouldn't mind hearing it at all. I would prefer her to like my personality, though.

0|0
    0|0
    • How would you like her to express that she likes your personality? Just say so “I really like your personality”?

• Make some sort of comment on his personality that shows that you know him well, it's like trying to get a gift for someone, you need to compliment him in a way that expresses that you actually put effort and thought into it. If he makes you feel safe then you should tell him that, or if he's really funny then maybe after he says something funny and you laugh you say something to the extent of "You're always super funny, [NAME]. Or perhaps if he is just a super charismatic guy and always knows what to say to get the conversation moving and keeping it smooth you should maybe call him a charmer when he says something charming, or maybe you could give him a nickname to show that you think of him in a certain way.

I rambled a lot there, the gist of it is that you need to be genuine with him, saying the thing about feeling safe might not feel right for me, but for him that might be what he's going for.

• That wasn’t rambling. That was all very helpful actually. Well the thing is He got me through a period where I was having issues with my dad and he encouraged me to block him bc I didn’t deserve to be treated like that and he would check up on me and offer really good advice, he also tried to get my ex fired when I showed up one day with bruises on me and he listened, let me cry to him, never judged me or made me feel inferior. He asked his friends how he could help me more and pretty much helped me with anything I needed, without ever expecting anything in return. I never had to ask him for help. He just took charge. I want to express what that meant to me but I can’t seem to put into words

• Sort of but mostly no. It makes me irritated in a way because it's sort of stupid. I'd rather be complimented on my intelligence, or my moral character.

0|0
    0|0
    • Interesting. That’s good cause that’s usually what I compliment him on anyway

• I'd much rather see her act as if she felt so about me instead of say it. Makes it much better.

0|0
    0|0
  • Both are nice to hear. I don’t date tbh. Impossible to find someone.

0|0
    0|0
  • First group obvious the second sounds more of liking females

0|0
    0|0
    • So definitely not “I admire the person you are”? Out of curiosity what would be a compliment you’d like to hear that would mean something to you?

• Show All
    • Thank you very much for every time you help me, it makes me love you more.
      I think it would be a sincere and beautiful compliment

• Ok thank you, I appreciate that. I have a hard time simplifying things lol

• I don’t mind hearing those complaints.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't care what she compliments me on.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes