Is it legal for an 18 year old to be with a 17 year old?

In a relationship? If not, what are the reasons why and what are the consequences?

517

Most Helpful Guys

• Depends on the country and/or state.
    In the US it's legal down to 16 in some states and not at all in others.
    We kind of need a bit more information to give a accurate answer for your area...
    Like roughly where you are...

• west coast

• Yikes, most of the west coast seems to have a age of consent of 18...
      Mind mentioning the exact state so I can look up the details?

• Also, keep in mind that even if a relationship might be legally acceptable it might not be socially acceptable in a location as your friends claim about your relationship illustrates...

• Even if it was.. As long as there is no accusation, there is no judge either.
    I mean.. You can literally just be a single day younger m, so why on earth wouldn't it be legal.
    And pedophilia? Your friend has absolutely no idea.. A pedophile is an adult who's attracted to prepubescent children, so let's say max 12 years or younger.
    Many misuse that term nowadays.

Most Helpful Girl

• You can be in relationship. You just can't have sex legally.

• Here in the UK you only need to be 16 years of age.

• @Losalt yup. I just assumed that she is from the same country as I am (silly me lol). I forgot that there are poeple from all over the world haha.

• +mia999 Country and state.
      In the US the states can have many different ages of consent.
      Some have 18, some 17 and some 16.
      In Mexico they also vary with some going as low as 12, some 13 or 14 and some 15.