Is it legal for an 18 year old to be with a 17 year old?

In a relationship? If not, what are the reasons why and what are the consequences?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Depends on the country and/or state.
    In the US it's legal down to 16 in some states and not at all in others.
    We kind of need a bit more information to give a accurate answer for your area...
    Like roughly where you are...

1|0
    0|0
    • west coast

• Yikes, most of the west coast seems to have a age of consent of 18...
      Mind mentioning the exact state so I can look up the details?

• Also, keep in mind that even if a relationship might be legally acceptable it might not be socially acceptable in a location as your friends claim about your relationship illustrates...

• Even if it was.. As long as there is no accusation, there is no judge either.
    I mean.. You can literally just be a single day younger m, so why on earth wouldn't it be legal.
    And pedophilia? Your friend has absolutely no idea.. A pedophile is an adult who's attracted to prepubescent children, so let's say max 12 years or younger.
    Many misuse that term nowadays.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• You can be in relationship. You just can't have sex legally.

1|0
    0|0
    • Here in the UK you only need to be 16 years of age.

• Show All
    • @Losalt yup. I just assumed that she is from the same country as I am (silly me lol). I forgot that there are poeple from all over the world haha.

• +mia999 Country and state.
      In the US the states can have many different ages of consent.
      Some have 18, some 17 and some 16.
      In Mexico they also vary with some going as low as 12, some 13 or 14 and some 15.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 15

• This normally will never get prosecuted as the general public in most western countries accept this as reasonable. EXCEPT if he is 18 and in a position of authority, like he's your sports coach. Then it could be seen as him manipulating you, or you manipulating him for favors.

0|0
    0|0
  • An 18 year old can't legally have sex with a 17 year old in the US states of: California, Oregon, New York and West Virginia.

The age of consent in these states is 18, and they have no exceptions.
    (unless your parents marry you to an old man, which is tots allowed though)

0|0
    0|0
  • In my country its technically illegal to have sex, but nobody will ever prosecute you for it as we all know its natural and normal. The relationship itself is fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the state. In Minnesota, you can legally date a person over 13 So long as you're no more than 4 years older. 13 is the age of consent in MN.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, I don't think there is something wrong about it. Since this is a dating question, it is completely normal.

0|0
    0|0
  • In the states I think if they started dating before the 18 year old was 18 then yes, otherwise no.

In Canada yes it is legal.

0|0
    0|0
  • In some states the age of consent for sex is 17 while some is 18. Its not considered pedophilia since its only a one year age difference. Therefore its perfectly legal.

0|0
    0|0
  • In some places it isn't and in some it is legal to be with 16 year olds. So without knowing where you live it is hard to answer this properly.

0|0
    0|0
  • What the young lady already posted. You don't want to do anything that lands you in jail.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on where you live, in the UK you will be fine as the legal age is 16.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah it is.

0|0
    0|0
  • Pedophiles belong in the jail

0|0
    0|0
    • That is true but has no connection to the question asked.

• Show All
    • You do realize pedophiles are attracted to children 12 and under right? Plus in the west the age of consent is around 16 or 17. I dont need the laws changed cause its already legal.

• @Repa33 I'm talking about the places where the age of consent is 18
      I have no problem with 2 legal adults doing it
      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephebophilia

"However, the term pedophilia is commonly used by the general public to refer to any sexual interest in minors below the legal age of consent, regardless of their level of physical or mental development"

A crime is still a crime

• yes ı m 17 years old

0|0
    0|0
    • Actually, given that you're in the US not neccessarily.
      It is in some states but not in others.
      In some states the age of consent is 18, in some it's 17 and in some it's 16.
      Across the border in Mexico it also varies from place to place with some having 14 or 13 as the age of consent and a few locations even having the age of 12 as the age of consent...
      There's also some countries where the age of consent is 20 or 19.

So in short everyone agrees that child abuse is wrong.
      But countries and states dissagree on the cutoff age.

• @Losalt
      you are right

• In most us states 17 is legal.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some countries it legal.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• its illegal to have sex technically, but meh its just one year, use protecshun and you should be good

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope

0|0
    0|0
  • no..

0|0
    0|0
  • Why on earth shouldn't it be?

0|0
    0|0
    • a friend of mine said that it was pedophilia

• Show All
    • @Losalt Thank you for that very informative and interesting information.
      Sadly though at times the word ambiguity could easily raise it's ugly head.

• +EmmaMary
      You're welcome. =)

Recommended myTakes