What’s the difference between a relationship being built off love vs off of lust?

2349

Most Helpful Guys

• I am one of those types who cannot tell a difference between "love" and "lust". I have seen charts like these:

dazzlevine.files.wordpress.com/.../...-or-love.jpg

And that might click for some people but not me.
    1) I always wanted what was best for another person when I really wanted them (short of them breaking up with me and going to someone else).
    2) It was always *both* a feeling and decision on my part.
    3) I'd always want to protect her if she was in any danger. She was very valuable and precious to me.
    4) I never loved anyone unconditionally. If my sister turned out to be a serial killer who kills children for fun, I don't think I could continue loving her. I don't establish many conditions for my love, but I don't think I could continue to love a girl if I found out she cheated on me left and right, for example.
    5) It's always been a balance of giving and taking for me.

Things of this sort. These charts make no sense to me. I cannot tell lust from love, even for my wife of 10 years.

• The only time I can tell "lust" from "love" is when it is so obvious and blatant, like thinking some girl has a nice ass but not caring about her at all. But that is only for complete strangers. If we started dating and getting to know each other then I'd start to care about her, and then according to the chart above it'd be a blur between "love" and "lust".

• I like your answer. As far as starting to care about someone because you started dating them and you once just lusted them then I believe that’s true as well. Lust can turn into you caring or loving a person but it’s only love and you only know you truly care for them based off how you act in the relationship. Like if you cheat on the person you once had lust for but then started dating then I think the love hasn’t came to be yet or if you still don’t respect him or her.

• In my case lust of a very primitive kind of pure sexual desire comes easily to me. :-D So I understand that distinction easily, as I could see a stranger of a girl bending over and find her very sexually appealing. But once I date a girl, and we connect, then I don't see the difference anymore. And I've never been the type to cheat, especially not for a girl I'm lusting/loving (again I can't tell the difference but either way I'd care about her a lot).

• Honestly, I think that there has to be a healthy amount of both in order to form a romantic relationship. “Lust” gets demonized in our culture today, but I think that it’s 100% necessary to form the beginning of a relationship, because let’s be honest, if it isn’t there, there’s nothing that makes you have that spark of interest in the first place, and lust, in and of itself, is desire, which you should feel for your s/o. But I think what you’re really asking Ian “how do I know I’m not being taken advantage of sexually?” Well look, honestly, if you’re getting together more to hook up than to see each other, that’s when you’ve reached that point.

• in my opinion, a relationship should be based mostly off of love at the beginning. For example; A friend that you suddenly started to have romantic feelings for. Of course there’s going to be some degree of lust, but the relationship should start based on love primarily. Lust comes second.

(My opinion)

Most Helpful Girls

• LOVE: It can develop from lust, but usually it doesn't. Most often it develops from friendship. It is when you truly care about other person's well being. You care and you interested in their life, their goals, their problems, their dreams, their sadness, their happiness. You want to be with them through it all and you want to help out as much as you can, not because you are expecting them to return a favor or to love you more because of it or to prove that you love them, but because you truly feel it in your humanly instinct and desire to do all that unconditionally because it makes YOU happy. They feel like family member. You spend quality time together and talk about deep stuff. You can be 100% yourself around them and you don't have fear or doubts that they will leave you because you know they exactly the same way about you. Not because they told you so, but because you FEEL how they feel, you just know. You will feel responsible for them and their feelings and it won't bother you, that responsibility will make you the best version of yourself. Words won't be a measurement of love, only actions. You might find yourselves not being as lovey-dovey as other couples but that will only make you feel relieved because you will realize that those other couples are building out of lust, while your relationship is something different. It feels so peaceful.

LUST: It hits really fast and really hard. Just upon one meeting you feel an enormous amount of chemistry towards this person. You can't explain it, you feel as if you know them your whole life or from another life. They freeze your brain and your logical thinking, feeding your body and your emotions with this unknown kind of feeling. You It's like being under drugs, all you want to do is be around them, kiss them, touch them, cuddle them, have passionate sex with them and tell the whole world about how much you are drawn to them. You feel like you never felt before. You hangout all the time, you text all the time, you talk all the time, and the most thing you care about is that feeling and making it last. You can't spend quality time with them because you can't resist having sex with them, and you can't talk about deep stuff because you can't stop kissing. It's such an amazing feeling that you want to last forever. It doesn't matter if you are not compatible because you think that if it feels this good it must be love.

To be continued...

• You make excuses for the lack of meaningful things and you over-look your important differences. Your conversations are mostly about how much you want each other, how much you miss each other, how you make each other feel, etc. You are on cloud 9. And then it just stops, because lust doesn't last.

• My brother up and left his girlfriend of a year for another girl he met while away at a job program. He Didn’t tell her why or what she did, she found out he was cheating on her and he left. Next thing she knew he was tagging the new girl in post on Facebook he made a post of pictures and videos of the two of them together saying how much he loved Her and he knew his ex would see and weeks and days prior to that he was still telling her how he loved her. They were a normal couple and he wasn’t unhappy and before she knew it he left her and plastered his new relationship all on Facebook. He got a apartment with the girl. Bought her a ring. Still tags her cute little post But he tells me how he still hits up his ex, flirting, being sexual even after the fact. He thinks he has a problem.

• It's because he got infatuated with the new girl. For lust. He was following his lust feeling. Don't get me wrong, lust is a very powerful feeling. Some people even call it love. And if a couple can commit, then relationships build on lust can last. It's usually for the sake kids, marriage, social acceptance, habit, fear of loneliness, etc. But those relationships are just meh. It's alright but it's meh. Lust fades away and then they either cheat on each other wanting to get lust feeling again from someone else, stay committed and unhappy, or leave. The main difference between love and lust is that lust and temporary and love can last forever. And no matter how strong lust is, love is still stronger. Love beats everything. Once you find love, you become immune to lust.

Your brother does have a problem. He is emotionally immature. He never loved his ex, that relationship was also build of lust. Any emotionally mature person knows that giving into lust is just not worth it.

• If you love someone, you are best friends, want to spend every minute of your time with them, and are sad at the thought of never seeing them again.
    If you lust for someone you won't be close friends, you find them more attractive than anything else and you could take them or leave them.

• Sad as in I miss you sad or you’ve been playing the game all day come to bed kind of sad or you haven’t texted me back today or all day sad

• Sad as in you couldn't imagine living without them, you would consider suicide if you found out they died. You will miss them after any amount of time spent apart.