Is it wrong for a twenty something adult to date a seventeen year old? Even though eighteen and seventeen are only a year apart?

I personally believe it is. Teens grow really fast and there could be a big difference in one year for teens. There is a big difference between seventeen and eighteen, legally as well. I'm asking this question because I'm curious. What do people think? Is a year apart a difference?
  • Yes, it's wrong
  • No

64

Most Helpful Guy

• Its pretty grey honestly. Here in Canada the age of consent is 16 so its a lot more grey than in the states where that would be a crime.

If the guy poached the girl thats super creepy to me but if he was off doing his own thing and she sought him out (which I have seen on occassion) I would be a lot less creeped out about it as I would be less inclined to feel like she was targeted and manipulated into it. I guess what I'm saying is the dynamic of their relationship and how it started matters to me.

I dunno, I can't see me doing it as most teenagers are still pretty emotionally immature and would be a bit much to handle in a relationship. I don't know any of my friends who do so its all hypothetical to me really.

• Where my head gets really fucked up with it is the situations I know of where a 16-18 year old suicidal teenager ran from home and met somebody who looked after her. I dated a girl (22 at the time we dated) who had done that when she was 15 and she thought it was the decision that saved her life. Since then I'm a bit slower to cast judgement on it even though to me that sounds horribly wrong, it really did help her in a tangible way. I don't think I could ever condone it though if it was happening right now with someone I knew.

Most Helpful Girl

• personally i think it is "wrong" for an 18 year old to date a 20 something year old, especially if one can legally consume alcohol and the other can't.

in my opinion, since the human brain is still developing as a teen it is kind of creepy that a person with a fully developed brain would want to date them. according to hard science the age of full brain maturity is 25. so there is a physiological and biological reason teens shouldn't date older folks. they are NOT equal. but i only use science to prove this. i am sure there are plenty of teens who will respond to my science and refute it with opinion.