Is it wrong for a twenty something adult to date a seventeen year old? Even though eighteen and seventeen are only a year apart?

I personally believe it is. Teens grow really fast and there could be a big difference in one year for teens. There is a big difference between seventeen and eighteen, legally as well. I'm asking this question because I'm curious. What do people think? Is a year apart a difference?
  • Yes, it's wrong
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Its pretty grey honestly. Here in Canada the age of consent is 16 so its a lot more grey than in the states where that would be a crime.

If the guy poached the girl thats super creepy to me but if he was off doing his own thing and she sought him out (which I have seen on occassion) I would be a lot less creeped out about it as I would be less inclined to feel like she was targeted and manipulated into it. I guess what I'm saying is the dynamic of their relationship and how it started matters to me.

I dunno, I can't see me doing it as most teenagers are still pretty emotionally immature and would be a bit much to handle in a relationship. I don't know any of my friends who do so its all hypothetical to me really.

0|0
    0|0
    • Where my head gets really fucked up with it is the situations I know of where a 16-18 year old suicidal teenager ran from home and met somebody who looked after her. I dated a girl (22 at the time we dated) who had done that when she was 15 and she thought it was the decision that saved her life. Since then I'm a bit slower to cast judgement on it even though to me that sounds horribly wrong, it really did help her in a tangible way. I don't think I could ever condone it though if it was happening right now with someone I knew.

Most Helpful Girl

• personally i think it is "wrong" for an 18 year old to date a 20 something year old, especially if one can legally consume alcohol and the other can't.

in my opinion, since the human brain is still developing as a teen it is kind of creepy that a person with a fully developed brain would want to date them. according to hard science the age of full brain maturity is 25. so there is a physiological and biological reason teens shouldn't date older folks. they are NOT equal. but i only use science to prove this. i am sure there are plenty of teens who will respond to my science and refute it with opinion.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 3

• I don't think so. 17 and 18 are actually almost nothing different in my opinion. I know 17 year olds who dated people who were 24, even 27 and one of them is happily married (she's not 17 anymore, of course). My own grandmother got married at 17 and her married lasted happily for over 50 years. So, I don't think it's wrong.

However, it also depends on the person. If it's a 17 year old who acts like a child, I wouldn't advise it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends upon the state or province you are in. I would say just wait a little bit.

0|0
    0|0
  • Only a one year age difference. also 17 is legal in most US states. Other countries may be different. Nothing wrong with it.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• I clicked yes cause I was thinking of a 28 yr old dating a 17 yr old. Which would be bad. But any 20 something yr old? if he's 21-22, it could be okay, again, depending on the story, the guy, the girl, etc. Now, if the dude was over 25, no. Even if it was legal in some states. Why would a guy that age be interested in a girl of high school age? also legal=/= moral

0|0
    0|0
  • Your not making sense at all. are we talking about a 17 and 18 year old or a twenty something year old?

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends. Is it a 17 year old with a 20 year old or a 17 year old with like a 25 year old? The first is okay, the second isn’t. I would say 21 is really pushing it, 22 is concerning, and anything higher than that is just a big fat no.

0|0
    0|0
  • No cuz 17 year olds r almost to legal age so there’s nothing wrong about 20 and 17 year olds dating each other

0|0
    0|0
  • Really depends on persons.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes