Am I shallow for not wanting to date any guys under 5'10?

Okay so I am a 5'5 Japanese girl which society considered as average height in the West. I live in the UK and for some reasons, many short guys asked me out and I don't know how to tell them that I am not attracted to short guys. I just find them to be repulsive and I like tall guys. The worst part was one guy who is the same exact height as me asked me out and I didn't know how to react.

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Of course it's not shallow, everyone has their preferences, and everyone is entitled to them. It would be like if I was shallow for not wanting to date fat women or if I am just not attracted to black or Asian girls, it is just a preference and is something that you don't have any control over

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Lol at some of the bitter responses. As if guys dont turn down or ignore girls for not meeting their physical requirements.
    Dont turn down the guys rudely or make it about their height, just kind of roll out of it and make it nice and say you aren't interested.
    It's fine to date taller guys, who cares what you do with your personal life? I know some girls who only date guys who are 6'5.

2|0
    0|5
    • Let me guess. Your boyfriend cheated on you.

• Show All
    • @radi_nce umm maybe from the guys that tell my friend her height is cute?
      Guys love small girls it's a thing the same way girls love tall guys.

• Most honest answer. In fact there was a guy earlier who made a MyTake about how he consider all girls below 5'9 short... How many times guys say about a girl "not my type"?

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 50

• This is a topic that can create some strong emotions for some people. When you turn them down, don't say it is because of their height.

0|0
    0|1
    • What should I tell them?

• Show All
    • I look forward to the question @Logorithim

• It would be stupid to date a guy if you are not physically attracted to him.

1|1
    0|0
  • Not sure i would say its shallow, everyone has preferences on physical attributes. It may be a little to far to refer to them as repulsive...
    Out of interest, you meet someone who ticks every box, shares interests with you, great conversationalist, kind, generous, funny/witty but was 5'8", you'd reject him?

1|1
    0|0
  • www.court-records.net/.../...rth-determined(c).gif

Yeah you are because you are simply not just unattracted to short guys, you are repulsed by them which is ridiculous.

The funny thing about having strict height requirements (hardly a preference in your case) is that you wouldn't tell the difference between a 5'9" and a 5'10" guy.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes you’re shallow maybe guys who are over 5’10 should expect you to have 34D to 34F tits then you can see how shallow you really are and how you make guys who are under 5’10 feel because with your attitude you’re missing out on some good quality guys out there who could make you happy

1|1
    0|0
    • And just an FYI I wouldn’t date you because I’m not into Japanese women I don’t find them attractive never have never will but at least I don’t go around asking if I’m shallow because of this

• In my opinion it is shallow. I have a height preference as well, but that's all it is, a preference. It's never a "deal breaker". You could be missing out on a great person/relationship... all because of their height? Really? Just my thoughts/opinion.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. You may need to expand your vocabulary as well. There is no reason someone's height should be repulsive to you. Maybe you're looking for unappealing... but definitely not repulsive. Simply refusing to date someone because of height is petty and shallow.

0|0
    0|0
  • A: You date shorter guys, as long as they are significantly taller than you.
    B: You wouldn't date a guy much taller than you, just because he's not tall compared to other guys.

I think A is okay, B is kinda... yes kind of shallow

1|0
    0|0
  • As a tall guy I find you repulsive. I get not fancying short guys but to be so condecending to them is disgusting.

Just tell them loudly that you find them repulsive so us tall guys know to avoid you.

0|3
    0|0
  • It's shallow but who cares, you're probably not gonna stop any time soon so it's a moot question, find someone tall if that's all you can be attracted to.

0|2
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 10

• Well imagine you like a guy a lot and when you finally ask him out he tells you he's not interested ONLY because you're shorter than he liked.
    You would be a bit hurt too.
    Although I wouldn't say it's shallow, but a preference, I still think that when it comes to height, it's not something a person can control or decide or change, but a lot of shorter guys can be great.

0|1
    0|0
    • www.court-records.net/.../...rth-determined(c).gif

This is what gets me about when people use the term "preferences". How does this qualify as a preference? It's clearly a requirement...

• Show All
    • www.court-records.net/.../bratworth-normal(c).gif

@Shadow44 Yeah, I agree she is limiting herself. I never understood how people can say they have preferences when they really have requirements. If she would automatically reject all guys short than 177cm then it's hardly a preference; it's a requirement. I think that's shallow, and unnecessarily so.

• @UnknownXYZ I agree with you. I prefer redheads, but I wouldn't turn a girl away for being a brunette or blonde if we got along well, had something in common and there was some attraction on my end. I guess also I'd want someone who was doing something with her life. Though the first two would come naturally between two people and the last two she could could control (Well the attraction thing is to some extent).

Though a lot of people's preferences (requirements in some cases) for attraction won't be around in 10-30 years. People could shrink, get horribly disfigured in accidents and stuff and then the person who chose them is left with something different than what they got. The funny thing is these preferences (requirements) don't necessarily make for a good relationship a lot of times.

• It’s fine to have a preference but you seem to be taking it a bit far. Finding short guys repulsive? Seriously?

1|6
    0|0
  • Yes you are. But who cares. Its your decison to make

0|4
    0|0
  • No not at all. I wouldn't consider myself shallow for not dating anyone under 6’0”. Im 5’9 and a very fit athletic girl. Id like for my man to be larger than me so i can feel small next to him

3|0
    1|1
    • Finding them repulsive is a little odd. Im just simply not physically attracted to them

• We all have preferences as to what attracts us but i think its a bit much to call someone 5'9' "repulsive" because of their height alone so based on that comment Yeah, I'd say you are incredibly shallow.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it's what you perfer in a man. I like guys taller than me and I'm like 5'9.

1|0
    0|0
  • sorta

0|1
    0|1
  • Personalty should be key

1|2
    0|0
  • I am 5.6 and i have dated guys shorter than me even i prefer tall guy's but their are things which matter more than height anyway date whoever you want to date your body your choice but don't discriminate people for being short

0|1
    0|0
  • It's shallow, but you don't have to change your preferences just because some guys don't fit into them and want to date you.
    I'm in the same boat as you, I can't find guys under 5'9" attractive and I'm 5'6". We can reject guys for being too short the same way they can reject a girl because she is too fat or whose boobs/butt are too small.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes