Guys, I'm super confused, help me think of what I can do?

So. I'm 24. hard to believe but I have never dated. My mother passed when i was 15, and my father has had some financial troubles for a long time. So I've been the pillar of the family to depend on for my father and my younger brother. When it comes to dating I'm clueless. And then one day this guy walks into my life and says he's been crushing on me for over a year and has been watching, his confidence to say it out loud in public melt my heart. And then we started dating. but i was going through some stuff with work and one day i got super drunk and became demanding. he then mentioned he wanted me to be myself the way i've always been they way i was when he first saw me. I didn't like it so i asked what he meant the next day when i was sober. he started over-reacting and said he was wrong about me. he thought we were similar in many ways but we were far different from each other. and now it's over.
But to be honest I really liked being with him, yes we're very similar in many ways which i don't really like but then again better to have someone during hard times than to suffer alone. I tried asking if we could start again and he said it was over. i tried talking but he refused to listen. but after that i still acted normal saying at least lets be friends and just be like before which he then replied "that's what i wanted to hear". but even so there is awkwardness. we make small talks. I hate awkwardness. he still glances at me and does make small effort to talk to me and listens to little things i mention to my friends. in some ways im glad he left because i wouldn't want to be of burden especially since my life is a mess right now. but at the same time i wish he was here to hold me.
Anyone got any suggestions to what i could do to fix things? or even just make it less awkward?

2