Anybody have a SO who's totally opposite from them?

I’m from Los Angeles so I love shopping, getting my nails and hair done etc while my SO is basically a redneck, he drinks beer most of the day, goes hunting and fishing, drives a huge ram truck and loves guns. I couldn’t be happier with him because he showers me with so much love ❤️ what about you guys?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• My wife was into classical ballet and playing the violin (though also judo and kendo), likes traveling, opera, classical music, fine wine, and is a literary major.

I was a skateboarder (vert) into beer-chugging, arm-wrestling, generally being a total jackass, and the type to go to wine tasting and just drink all the wine in bottoms-up while dancing and going "Woo-hoo! Party time!" in front of people who found me so obnoxious as they swizzled the wine and gargled it and spit it all out. And I was a STEM type (software engineer).

So I guess we were kind of opposites in terms of interests, but we have a lot of in common in terms of how we communicate, and the sort of position we have among friends (we're both kind of unofficial counselors among our friends due to our tendency to listen and not be so judgmental). And we both love to party, except I was covered in beer and she was getting tipsy on wine. And we both were into athletic abilities; in some ways skateboarding is like ballet (you sort of work hard and endlessly while enduring some pain to master new tricks).

So we had enough in common there. And she managed to get me to a point where I can tolerate opera without being bored out of my mind, and I managed to turn her into a beer guzzler.

1|0
    0|0
    • And she's a book publisher and author who likes to write and edit and publish books. I like to write and edit and publish code. So I figure it's all kind of similar at the end of the day. :-D We just had a very different background.

• Show All
    • I don't think of us as "opposites", almost kindred spirits in another form. Like if we exchanged shoes, and I grew up the way she did, and she grew up the way I did, our interests might have likewise switched. There's more to it than just liking the same music or something as I've come to see it, and while she might have had the most different kind of interests from me than any girl I ever dated, our ways of communicating and expressing affection for each other are more similar than any girl I ever dated.

• And we've somewhat assimilated each other's interests as a result. I got her to like things like beer and pizza a lot more, and she has managed to make me appreciate 7-course French restaurants (though I still hate the bill that comes afterward). And she's come to like my music, and I've come to like hers... things like that. We had enough "meta" things in common to start becoming interested in many of the same things.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sometimes opposite interests and personalities attract. It seems like its matching really well for you if he treats you that well :)

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes plus we are both opened minded so we are willing to learn and do things that we like or don’t like. I don’t mind wearing camouflage and getting dirty while he hates getting his feet done 😂

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• YOU'RE the perfect catch! Don't you ever cheat on him and hell go on to teach your kids the same good traits!! If you ever cheated him all the goodness he is will slowly crumble and then hell be like the rest of us that started out good and had everything they dreamed of

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes definitely ! He is such an honest and trustworthy guy! Though he can be an asshole at times he’s so lovey dovey as well. I would never cheat on my SO

• Tbh that sounds really awesome and lucky

1|1
    0|0
  • I've only got 2 legs, but my SO's got 4.

0|0
    0|0
    • WOAH!! XD well if it's consensual... lmao but how do you know if its consensual? "baaaaaaa" and "baaaaaa" sound the exact same to me! O. o lol

• l have no girl

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 6

• We're different in the sense that he's a proper social butterfly, his social life is non-stop. His job is to build relationships with clients for his company which he's really good at, he gets offered lots of free gifts. He likes to go out drinking and doing other group events. He's good at maintaining relationships with every single person he's ever met. He does football every week with his friends. And even in his downtime, he's playing video games with his friends on headset.

Me on the other hand. I have Avoidant Personality Disorder. Which is basically chronic shyness/anxiety. The only people I'm completely comfortable around is my younger siblings, boyfriend, nan, and primary school aged children. Hence why I work in childcare. I wish more than anything that I could make friends outside of my family.

He's quite mainstream, a bit of a gossip, wears contact lenses and hairspray everyday. Nothing wrong with that. He'd prefer an all inclusive european holiday where you lay in the sun all week, by a pool.

I hardly ever even wear makeup, only on the rare night out and when I'm bored. I'm a vegetarian animal lover. Lived on a farmlet with all sorts of pets. My ideal holiday would be activity revolved, like hiking with orangutans in sumatra, or going on a safari in the masai mara.

He loves rock music. Which I do also like, but not into as much depth. And I love rap/hip hop. Which he also does but not into the depth that I do.

He'd like to get married, then have 2 kids, a dog and a cat.

I'd like maybe 4 kids, 2 dogs and aren't that fussed about when we get married.

But we have the ability to compromise. Which makes up compatible. And we also have lots in common.

0|0
    0|0
  • Im totally goth/emo and he's a freaking redneck. He loves America and Trump, I love Japan and Bernie Sanders. He loves Serial killer documentaries, I love anime. He loves rap, I love FOB

0|0
    0|0
  • She loud and out going I’m out going but tend to be quite she like staying in I like going out.

0|0
    0|0
  • I did.. HA! That failed😐

0|0
    0|0
    • Lol aww u also have to open minded about each other’s lifestyle

• I was!!! His douchyness was hard to smooth over. I gave up😂

• Yeah kinda, he’s loud in crowds and I’m quiet. H

0|0
    0|0
  • That's adorable. Of course... mine is blue collar/low class and everyone thinks he's just a trashy biker, but there's more than meets the eye. I'm middle class and kinda some goth goddess. XD

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes