Anybody have a SO who's totally opposite from them?

I’m from Los Angeles so I love shopping, getting my nails and hair done etc while my SO is basically a redneck, he drinks beer most of the day, goes hunting and fishing, drives a huge ram truck and loves guns. I couldn’t be happier with him because he showers me with so much love ❤️ what about you guys?

75

Most Helpful Guy

• My wife was into classical ballet and playing the violin (though also judo and kendo), likes traveling, opera, classical music, fine wine, and is a literary major.

I was a skateboarder (vert) into beer-chugging, arm-wrestling, generally being a total jackass, and the type to go to wine tasting and just drink all the wine in bottoms-up while dancing and going "Woo-hoo! Party time!" in front of people who found me so obnoxious as they swizzled the wine and gargled it and spit it all out. And I was a STEM type (software engineer).

So I guess we were kind of opposites in terms of interests, but we have a lot of in common in terms of how we communicate, and the sort of position we have among friends (we're both kind of unofficial counselors among our friends due to our tendency to listen and not be so judgmental). And we both love to party, except I was covered in beer and she was getting tipsy on wine. And we both were into athletic abilities; in some ways skateboarding is like ballet (you sort of work hard and endlessly while enduring some pain to master new tricks).

So we had enough in common there. And she managed to get me to a point where I can tolerate opera without being bored out of my mind, and I managed to turn her into a beer guzzler.

• And she's a book publisher and author who likes to write and edit and publish books. I like to write and edit and publish code. So I figure it's all kind of similar at the end of the day. :-D We just had a very different background.

• I don't think of us as "opposites", almost kindred spirits in another form. Like if we exchanged shoes, and I grew up the way she did, and she grew up the way I did, our interests might have likewise switched. There's more to it than just liking the same music or something as I've come to see it, and while she might have had the most different kind of interests from me than any girl I ever dated, our ways of communicating and expressing affection for each other are more similar than any girl I ever dated.

• And we've somewhat assimilated each other's interests as a result. I got her to like things like beer and pizza a lot more, and she has managed to make me appreciate 7-course French restaurants (though I still hate the bill that comes afterward). And she's come to like my music, and I've come to like hers... things like that. We had enough "meta" things in common to start becoming interested in many of the same things.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sometimes opposite interests and personalities attract. It seems like its matching really well for you if he treats you that well :)

• Yes plus we are both opened minded so we are willing to learn and do things that we like or don’t like. I don’t mind wearing camouflage and getting dirty while he hates getting his feet done 😂