Does it sound as if there’s something wrong with my personality that makes me unlikeable?

So, I’m 23 and lead what you’d call a “lonely” life. I have no friends. And no romantic partner at the moment. I've always been relatively reserved and never really had many friends. I was bullied as a child and a bit in HS & MS. Even a few family members were rude towards me and I don’t understand what triggered their animosity towards me. Previous co workers too. I’ve had a minimal amount of friends and acquaintances throughout my life.

If you think my friendship history is pathetic, wait until you hear my dating history. I’ve only been in one short term relationship. I don’t even consider our relationship as anything substantial because it was long distance too. Guys don’t actively pursue me compared to the friends I’ve witnessed that have a lot of suitors. And the ones that have shown interest were not my type. This has affected my self esteem in the past and now I’ve accepted my life as being single so I am not as melancholy about the topic. What I find weird is people compliment me and I’ve been told I’m attractive by others, yet I’m invisible.
  • Yes
  • No

14

Most Helpful Guy

• I went with "yes" for your own sake. You can mean the best for people and, lacking the right kind of social skills and approach, still end up causing so much friction in ways that will cause both of you stress (especially you since you meant so well for the person only to have it backfire).

You are one of good intentions and poor outcomes as I see it, with the potential to get the greatest of outcomes if you could improve your skills. But at the moment I think there is something lacking about your demeanor, personality, social skills, that makes your efforts a hit or a miss among other people around you, with far more misses than hits.

And your life can be so much better as I see it if you can work on that and improve it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Are you very shy?