Would you be able to date someone 40+ miles away from you?

just started talking to a guy recently but i’m a future thinker, and he lives 80 miles away.

and he's originally not even FROM my state. he’s here for college.

I only see it really working as a weekend thing unless he moved closer eventually, but i’m not putting too much thought into it, cause like I said we just started talking.

just weighing how worth it that it may be.

015

Most Helpful Guys

• I have before with girls living outside of Tokyo I met while they were on vacation here, but they turned out to live pretty far away. And I found it a drag that we might only be able to see each once a week or two.

When I was used to formerly seeing girls 5+ times a week, it starts to feel like it takes ages to build something there if you're only seeing a girl once every two weeks... like snail pace. So I tried to avoid that whenever possible.

I'm not so forward-thinking as to contemplate where she might end up years from now or anything like that, since I figure if we built something strong enough, we could make that work (I might even move to her area as I could work remotely). But even in the present without thinking about future, I found it to be too slow and annoying to only be able to date someone once a week or two.

• In my case we were talking at least 2-hour drives or train rides though from Tokyo.

• Also I wasn't a "multitasking" dater. I never dated more than one girl at a time (liked to dedicate my entire attention to her). If I could multitask that way, I might have been able to tolerate more distance and very infrequent dating... but I never liked that sort of thing.

• Well, not disliked... I'd suck at it. :-D I'd mostly start jumbling things I remember about the girls up -- confusing one for the other, in ways that would be quite awkward even if we weren't exclusive yet.

• That's not too bad, but you may need to compromise. Like you said, weekends might be the only time you can get together, can you accept that?

This happened with me and an ex. We were about the same distance apart and were only about to see each other on weekends, which was fine in the beginning. But as time went on and we got closer, she especially wanted to see me more and more, and it just wasn't possible. But she kept pressuring me about it and weekends wasn't enough anymore. This wasn't the only reason we broke up, but it was one of them because at the time I was stressed as it was, and she was only adding to it because I couldn't do anything about it, but she didn't see it that way. As I say, there were other more serious issues as well, but this was one of the reasons it didn't work to. But I think it can work, it just depends on the two people involved and how willing they are to compromise and what they will and won't accept.

• it’s not the distance it’s more the me being in the dating scene for the entirety of this new hook up culture everyone’s in. and seeing all the dudes who are out of town for the week and away from girlfriends seeking others to hook up with.

it’s not wanting to be made into a fool if he turns out to be one of those guys that I have issue with.

say we only see each other Friday evening through Sunday evening. then we have 4.5 days of not seeing each other.

that’s 4.5 days for him to get bored lmao

• Well that depends on the type of guy he is. Get to know him and see if you trust him. Because not all guys are like that. I'd never cheat on someone, ever. Even if I was in an unhappy relationship. If the thought crossed my mind, that tells me "something's wrong" with my current relationship and I'd either try to fix it, or end that relationship, not cheat.

• And I'd also never "get bored" either. I never understood that logic. I've never "got bored". I think those people that do are not really into the relationship to begin with if that's the case?