How do you get over your first love?

I've been trying to get over him for 4 years. And no success. He is interested in someone else now and its breaking my heart. It feels like ill never love someone this much again. And yes if there were someone else I could date now , but there is no one who compares to him. So I don't know what to do.

1449

Most Helpful Guys

• You focus on yourself, becoming the person you want to be, improving yourself and dealing with the things you don't like about you.

You throw yourself into constructive hobbies, take a class or learn a new skill. Go hiking every weekend, learn Spanish or French.

I learned to juggle, started a regular workout routine, and blew the competition out of the water at work (I was a salesman, and became the most successful one on the floor after a few months).

I started trying to casually date, but in the end I actually ended up getting back together with my ex. I think it was the day I decided to start moving on that things began to turn around for us, actually.

Either way, you'll be glad you focused on something else and worked on being a better you.

• Focusing on yourself ends up turning into selfish behaviour because people gravitate that way. It's more of a euphamism

• @penguin1965 What the hell are you talking about?
      I'm talking about self-improvement and building confidence, learning new skills and stuff. Selfish behavior? And what euphamism? That part doesn't even make any sense in this context.

• When one decided to "focus on self", they misread it and become selfish. That's the euphemism. I'm not saying that all do. Yes improving yourself is good but there is a wide variety of opinions on what self improvement is

• That's the problem right there young lady. Your comparing him and your relationship to what it used to be. Like the touch of his skin in the morning the words that were said the thoughts you were having as he move closer to you and whispers in your ear. The looks that he would give you the love you felt for him as he is making you breakfast or something really cute. DON't forget those things and live though those memories. You will not forget about him cause I have never forgot my first love its been over 10 years. But I am married not with a young baby life will happen and you will find a lover , just don't comparing his actions to what you were used to while you to were together , this new guy may act close to him but will never act the same way he did. You will find new things to love. in turn will be the same things you already do just differently now

Most Helpful Girls

• You need to stop comparing others to him. He is your first love and he’ll always have that place in your heart. But you will only get over him if you stop comparing others to him and if you move on with someone else... i know it’s easier said than done, but as long as you’re single and he’s not, you can’t get over jim. You need to focus on yourself, get a hobby, go work out, do fun things with your friends/family and stop focussing on what he’s doing with who. Good luck babe.. i know it’s hard but you will move on and it will get better. Trust me xx

• I didn’t have to try, I just did. He’s married now and happy. I liked the guy, we didn’t work out, but I cared about him enough to be happy he found love and I love myself enough to know he’s not the only option out there for me.