Does it matter if your partner has a different religion than you?

Is it a deal breaker if your partner has a different religion than you?

I'm Athiest and he is Jewish. Will it ever work?
  • Yes it matters to me
    Vote A
  • No it doesn't matter to me
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• It matters only in the context of marriage/children for me since we will have some irreconcilable differences when it comes to the religious education of the children.

1|0
    0|0
    • Very true! Although it's way too early in the relationship to ask about how any children may be raised...

• Show All
    • I guess for me it depends on how religious/spiritual he is.

• Absolutely, I get along with most moderates

• The biggest issue would be childrearing because when one parent doesn't practice the same religion as the kids it can cause problems.

In addition, I'm not converting religions for anyone, no matter how Incredible she is.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm an aethiest but it wouldn't bother me

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 14

• As long as you both respect each others differences and accept them, it shouldn't be a problem. Depends how important they are to each of you and if you have any major differences that might come between you down the road? One example, how to raise children.

1|1
    0|0
  • So long as our morals are generally similar I don't see a problem with it as long as my partner doesn't attempt to force their beliefs on me. I don't think I would engage in a relationship with someone who is religious out of pure preference however I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it would, as I do think it can cause problems e. g. if I'm an atheist and my partner is Christian, then we would have different views, with hers likely being partly inspired by her Christian belief, which can contradict my own and impact our lifestyles. It would also be weird and probably even impolite to ask her to do something that goes against it.

0|0
    0|0
  • It doesn't matter to me. As for your case, it's hard to tell, there are times when people may possibly step on each other's toes or won't see eye to eye when it comes to religions as long as you both are able to talk through it I'm sure you two will be fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • It matters to me depending on how compatible we would still be. I'm Christian, and I wouldn't want to be with an Atheist, but some other religions would be just fine for an SO. Like other forms of Christianity, Pentecostal, Jewish, and similar ones would be fine for me.
    I wouldn't be compatible with a strict Jehovah's Witness either because I very much look forward to celebrating Christmas and other holidays with my future kids.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes and nope one of your faiths will dominate the other and alienate that part of that person.

0|0
    0|0
  • There's only one religion I won't date. Not going to say what it is on here. But if you are smart, you can guess what it is.

0|0
    0|0
    • Which religion? Now I really want to know

• Show All
    • Sounds like all religions throughout all of history 😂😂

• I have to disagree with you about sounds like all religions throughout all of history. No one has ever been killed for criticizing Buddhism.

• I don't care as long as we respect each other's viewpoints.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on their religion and how uptight they are about it.
    For example, no way I marry a Muslim woman unless she is non-practicing and all of her male relatives are dead. Also, no way I marry a fundamentalist Christian or an obsessively defensive Israel is everything Jew.

I prefer Pastafarians myself. They've got their shit together.
    upload.wikimedia.org/.../...oodly_Appendage_HD.jpg

0|0
    0|0
    • Why do the male relatives in the Islam faith need to be dead?

• @Agha111 So no beheadings or honor killings or other Allah-sanctioned violence is anywhere near my life.

• I don't know for her but my kids are little crusaders

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as you respect each other it can work.

1|0
    0|0
  • No...

0|0
    0|0
  • If you are a devout Jehovah's Witness... and your partner practices Santeria, I think that wouldn't work...

0|0
    0|0
  • If it’s true love, he will try to convert you, to save your soul. if you can deal with that then maybe

1|0
    0|0
    • He would have to respect the fact that I'm an athiest and I'm not converting religions. My soul doesn't need saving...

• Show All
    • If he really loves me he wouldn't try to push me to do something I wouldn't want to do! just like I wouldn't push him to be athiest.

• It’s not going to work

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes