Am I wrong for declining the proposal made by my college friend?

We started college 2 months back. And I started talking to this guy only a month back. And we were becoming good friends when suddenly he decides to ruin it and say, "I really like you. Do you?" He was basically asking me to be his girlfriend. Meh. I am pretty much focussed on my career atm.
Now, he's acting cold after I politely declined. He's getting angry on me and behaving pretty rudely. So I've lost my friend but what haunts me is that, "Am I wrong? Will this declination have a consequence later on? What if people start hating me?"
Thanks. :')

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• You are not wrong. It's saddening to hear he is making you feel you were wrong by his childish reactions. Whatever is most important to you at the moment, feel free to pursue it, & hopefully this episode will be just a memory with little impact.

1|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• If he's behaving like that, he never had intention of staying just friends. In fact, he didn't even really want to be your friend. He always had agenda of dating you.

So would you want someone as friend who is 'friends' with you because he eventually wants to make you his gf? Or a friend who has no other motives?

You did nothing wrong. You were polite. He could gracefully accept it and move on. You don't have to feel guilty for this.

2|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 12

• you said college not university (just to clarify that you're in the states)

you rejected him. what some girls don't seem to get is that some guys fall in love before meeting you. they see you and watch. it's creepy yes, but it happens. you let them into your life because you are friendly to. it can become a disaster.

if you are part of his group and he is signified as the one who casts people out of it, then it might not be good.

stay on your path. you were ok before.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, you both have different current life goals. I mean if you liked him and you had any time to devote to a relationship it may help you be more focused and happy at school. College relationships are much different than highschool ones.

1|0
    0|0
  • nope you are not wrong

if he did really like you then he would have never treated you badly

you know i have been rejected many a times, but still i like those girls (not with that intention) but i will never try to hurt them because i can't

so i will suggest you to distant him xD

1|1
    0|0
  • Don't bother about it right now. Focus on your career.

And how did you get in touch with him 2 months ago? College started a month ago 😂

1|0
    0|0
  • You are not wrong at all. You should be the mad one for putting up an act.
    forgot if people hate you. people who hate you then they're bias/closed-minded individuals who can't see the true side of the story.

1|0
    0|0
  • You were honest, nothing wrong with that! You had to let him down at least it was sooner rather than later. It was clearly him, not you

1|1
    0|0
  • That was your decision and I think you were pretty right. You cannot love someone on instant effect. And, I believe that the guy who proposed you were attracted towards you and it's normal too in this age.

1|1
    0|0
  • Not at all , it really good saying your mind, it not bad declining because u only wanted him as a friend not a lover, except ur heart said yes bt you voiced out No to him, that's when u can start thinking of consequence,

1|0
    0|0
  • People can't have what they are not allowed.

2|0
    0|0
  • If you are not ready, he should respect that!

1|1
    0|0
  • May be no

1|0
    0|0
  • tell him you would like to eventually but you are caught up and busy with getting your shit together and that having a successful career that you like and can make a living off of would be important to your future and for the future of you relationship and dating life. just tell him for now have patience and you'll get back to him whenever you are available and have free time

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Never feel forced to date anyone. His reaction is wrong, not you. However, I have regretted not dating people because I wanted to focus on my career, not being ready, etc. You never really know what it can lead to.

1|0
    0|0
  • Guys CANNOT handle rejection. He's immature, has low self esteem. Moin on girl!!

1|0
    0|0
    • Yeah I realized that. I just told him, "I'm really sorry, I feel that we can be nothing more that just friends at this point. I feel nothing more for you."
      And I infact said sorry 3 more times.
      Yet he choses to go out of his way and make me feel horrible.

• I think you are right

Recommended myTakes