Am I wrong for declining the proposal made by my college friend?

We started college 2 months back. And I started talking to this guy only a month back. And we were becoming good friends when suddenly he decides to ruin it and say, "I really like you. Do you?" He was basically asking me to be his girlfriend. Meh. I am pretty much focussed on my career atm.
Now, he's acting cold after I politely declined. He's getting angry on me and behaving pretty rudely. So I've lost my friend but what haunts me is that, "Am I wrong? Will this declination have a consequence later on? What if people start hating me?"
Thanks. :')

414

Most Helpful Guys

• You are not wrong. It's saddening to hear he is making you feel you were wrong by his childish reactions. Whatever is most important to you at the moment, feel free to pursue it, & hopefully this episode will be just a memory with little impact.

Most Helpful Girls

• If he's behaving like that, he never had intention of staying just friends. In fact, he didn't even really want to be your friend. He always had agenda of dating you.

So would you want someone as friend who is 'friends' with you because he eventually wants to make you his gf? Or a friend who has no other motives?

You did nothing wrong. You were polite. He could gracefully accept it and move on. You don't have to feel guilty for this.