Do extraneous variables impact your relationship?

My boyfriend has a lot of outside stressors that impact progression of relationship. It relates to his children and his family... as everyone relies on him. I do admire him for being reliable. Although, it impacts his personal goals. When these stressors happen he usually becomes quiet. I won’t hear from him. Yesterday was first time he told me a little about something before he went into hiding. After two years, that is progress. Our relationship has been going baby step by baby step. It has been a roller coaster as he has pushed himself away before. Recently I started to push myself away, but he came back. There is a lot more of learning and understanding of each other.

39

Most Helpful Guy

• Children and family issues are real life changers. It makes you depressed, always tired and the constant pressure to perform. Sometimes it is near impossible to explain it becasue their is too much history to say it all. Stand by your man.

• After two years, I’ve been standing. Sometimes I think he’s walking away, when he’s dealing with stuff, but then
      comes back. This last time I walked away, and he came back after me. There must be something there as we can’t say goodbye. I think we are still learning and understanding each other, and building trust. He mentions something and says “don’t pry”. I could be reading too much into it, but when he says that it makes me feel like he doesn’t care. I think I am learning that it means he has to get through it on his own. I hope he realizes I’m standing by him. 😊

• It sounds like you are standing by. I wonder if his 'don't pry' comments of shame or embarrassment over those details. Especially if he is afraid you will judge him on this one item. I know ir feels bad but it doesn't sound like he means to offend as much as he doesn't wanty to ruin your time with what is driving him crazy. I guess you need to be threr when he downloads. My advise is to try and stay with it.

Most Helpful Girl

• We have external stressors that effect our marriage, however, we face it as a team. Sometimes it makes us so emotionally drained we don’t feel sexual and we just want to eat ice cream in bed and snuggle or I cry in his arms. We may have a bitch fest over the other parents being a-holes. But the important thing is we don’t let it tear us apart.

We also face stressors in the marriage such as finances, disabled children, and miscarriages. He works full time and goes to school full time.

There will be ups and downs in any relationship/marriage.