Why are guys usually the ones expected to make the first move?

It seems there is an unfair expectation for guys to be the first to initiate contact and evince their feelings or desire for the other person, even though the reasons why girls choose not to do so apply equally to us guys. We're human too, after all, so we also have a fear of rejection, get nervous or become unsure of what to say, can be inexperienced, shy, awkward, diffident, etc.

So why the double standard? And why does the burden of the first approach fall mostly on us?
  • I believe it should be guys who make the first move
  • I believe it should be give and take between the sexes
  • Other
    Vote C

829

Most Helpful Girl

• Because courage is related to testosterone... So making the first move as a guy would make you look a certain way in the eyes of the woman... I am not saying that you should always initiate everything, it should be close to 50/50, but when it comes to doing a think for the first time I'd prefer the man to do it mostly

• "Because courage is related to testosterone..."
      Oh, yeah - just like lip color is related to sexual attracriveness. So if makeup is legal - why are anabolic steroids illegal again?
      That's makeup for men. Makes them look better, and makes them feel more confident.

• @englisc "Men tend to over-estimate the size that women prefer men to be anyway"
      Women are all over theplace - most women have no concept of what's hot - they think relatively. You show them a guy with a dad bod, and a fat guy, they'll say the dad bod guy is hot. But then you show them a picture of an underwear model, and suddenly the dad bod guy is yucky. Then you show them a picture of Chris Hemsworth, and when they look back at the natural underwear model, they'll think "he looks scrawny". So generally, speaking, if you want to pick up chicks with your physical appearance, you don't have to be hot, just hotter than your surroundings. That's where I'm fucked - my main dating pool is still a university campus, AKA where the rich, wealthy, well fed, handsome people go. In any part of the country, I'd score a 6.5, in the uni, I'm a 4 (I'm trying to be objective here). That's why I started thinking about cycling.

• @Benedek38

I might have been, but I wouldn't be dumb enough to get caught. Our police aren't laid back.

I think that many young guys today have huge insecurities, and I'm not trying to insult you when I day this but you definitely do. These insecurities about height, looks, wealth etc. Hold you back more than those things do. I'm only 5'4" myself, yet I've done ok with women because I have none of those insecurities. The height thing has never bothered me - I know that it's a disadvantage but like I said, being insecure about it and worrying about it when you can't change it does you no favours, especially when the number one quality women look for in a man is confidence.

Most Helpful Guys

• Girls are just more stubborn about it. If a few more guys go for it than girls then a few more girls can afford to wait, which forces a few more guys to go for it, which lets more girls wait and so on until the norm is that guys do it and girls don't.

• Women suck at flirting when they can't use their sexuality. Women flirt with me all the time but its usually SO fucking vague, straight from a cosmo magazine or facebook post written by another woman... So I play dumb on purpose. its so bad a man could could write an article titled "How to flirt with us." 2 million men give the article a thumbs up. Women would be like "naaaaaaaaaaaa... thats dumb... no way that works... I'm gonna continue to point my knees at him and blink a lot so I like I have something in my eye."

Its fun to think about how extinct we would be if women HAD to take the initiative in more things. Spiders and mice would outnumber roaches and ants on this planet.

• Lol @ your last paragraph XD

• Yeah bro I feel ya. I think we can still find some proper women around but perhaps their numbers are getting lower. But I think it's worse over where you are though (in the US), so I hear

• Lol are you sure they're actually flirting with you tho...