Have you ever had an awkward moment when it was time to pay the bill on a first date?

Regarding who will pay
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • Haven't had a date/results
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I usually based who should pay on how the date went - if it is going well I hope he pays and if it is not I usually pay for myself. If the date is not going well and he pays for dinner I feel like I owe him something later (ie. sex etc.) which is not something I want.

0|1
    1|1
    • If my date drove I always make sure I have money for the bus or to take a cab home if the date goes horribly or he is a creep. I literally had a guy leave me at the side of the road after I told him not to touch my breasts during a date.

• Show All
    • and your one of the good guys

• Thanks. Of course we're disappointed when a first date didn't go well, but it's not too much trouble to make sure a girl gets home safely.

• Yes, i awkwardly reached for my bag after he pulled out his wallet. He looked at me like I grew another head 😂. He then said no I'll pay. I felt bad since i was the ome who took him out and because he didn't like his dinner. I still feel embarrassed thinking about it.

0|2
    0|0
    • I don't think you should feel embarassed. I don't think he would have said he'd pay if he minded.

• True but it was an awkard moment. I don't know I'll get over it eventually

Most Helpful Guys

• Yeah when a woman gets nervous that I always pay. Thinking maybe that I would think she'd owe me "something" when in reality I just enjoy her company and if I'm taking someone out to dinner I want that person to not worry about money.

0|2
    0|0
    • This is the most succinct and accurate Explanation of how guys feel About this that I've seen.

• Yeah, I've had multiple dates with horrible women. If she can't even fake kindness and interest for the duration of a date, she can kiss my hairy ass. I had one girl throw her drink at me, but I dodged it and she doused the chick in the booth behind me (who also made a snotty comment about my refusal to pay for the monster I was there with). I handed the waitress plenty to cover my tab plus a generous tip, and I apologized for the rude cunt I shared the table with. Then I skidaddled. One of the best nights of my life, actually. That was the first time I acknowledged my own value in the presence of a woman, and it didn't hurt a bit. Plus I saw a great movie by myself later that night.

0|3
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 20

• The only awkwardness I get is when I want to pay and they won't let me pay for myself

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah because if I don’t like the guy I try to pay for myself. I hate feeling I like owe him something after especially if I don’t want to see them after

0|3
    0|0
  • No. I always assume we split.

0|2
    0|0
    • When I was a Young adult, if a Woman told you that in Advance, she was telling you she didn't see you as a potential romantic and/or sexual Partner.

• Show All
    • Then they were never dating options to begin with, therefore, they don't count. If you ask someone on a date and they don't see it as a date, it's not a date.

• True, I am simply commenting on how things have changed- splitting the bill generally wasn't done then on Dates.

• I went to prom with some weak ass virgin fucker. Thought he was sweet and cute but he didn't even compliment me the entire night and wanted me to kiss him and hopefully sleep with him when he did nothing to earn it. When it came time to pay for the bill before the actual prom, I didn't mind splitting it at all. In fact, I expected it. However, when the bill came for a total of $80 and he just looked at me with this awkward facial expression, not even making a joke of it to save the atmosphere, I ended up pulling out all $80 that I worked my ass off for while going to high school that month for some shitty, insecure bitch. In my head, I decided that no matter how cute he was he wasn't gonna get even a kiss on the cheek, expectations be damned.

When the night was over and I just wanted to go home, we ended up stopping on the street where around ten drunk college guys stopped their cars and started screaming about how hot of a piece of ass I was and how the dude I was with was so lucky about to get laid that night by me. Hah, that made up for the shit show. Normally I'm a 50/50 girl, but I really respect it if the guy pays. Doesn't make me disrespect him if he splits. This, however, made me think that I went to dinner with a little boy. Get real.

0|1
    0|0
    • Lol, love how him paying is cool, splitting is cool, but you paying makes him a little boy. Also feel free to throw out some compliments yourself if theyre so valuable... 3rd, lovely how you're implying that "working for it" is a thing and furthermore that its done by handing out cheap compliments. Hey maybe next time you can jump into the college guys' car, i hear they "work hard for it". there's something just so so, so so so, so so so soooooo American about your answer its sad

• Show All
    • @JanetJa I fucking hate fucking people like you who fucking cuss for no fucking reason. That's fucked up. And fuck you for not stopping to fucking cuss.

• Yeah. I once dated this guy and when the bill came, I pulled out my wallet and offered to pay for my share in a low key kinda way. It was really weird because he looked l had slapped him but I kind of gave him the chance to say "No, I got this ;)" I smiled and everything and he was weird, said "Am whatever, as you like".

0|1
    0|0
  • If ever I'll be on a date, I should put in mind that they shouldn't pay for me or me for him it's getting to know each other and we're our own self's responsibility so we should split the bill no issues.

0|2
    0|0
  • I almost always ask to pay for myself. This usually turns into an awkward little conversation because most of the time they want to pay. I'm just an awkward turtle. 😅

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm always prepared to pay (when I was dating) and now on lunch dates with friends etc... it's never been an issue.

I have seen some people look rather uncomfortable when the check arrives... I understand.

0|1
    0|0
  • No, but I imagine it would be awkward if I wanted to pay and they wouldn't agree. I am not comfortable with letting someone new paying for me because I' d feel like I'd owe them something...

0|1
    1|0
  • Splitting is the only thing i'm familiar with. Anything else hasn't happened to me.

0|2
    0|0
    • when you say splitting do you mean splitting the check or splitting the vagina?

• It's a little awkward. I always offer to pay for my half. If they say "no I got it" then that's fine but I am completely 100% okay with splitting.

0|2
    0|1
  • Never been on a date, I opt for the less formal setting of meeting for coffee and going for a walk, there's less interruptions that way.

0|1
    0|0
  • I went on my first date last Friday and my boyfriend paid for both of us

0|1
    0|0
  • It’s always awkward lol

0|1
    0|0
    • Wouldn't you discuss it in Advance?

• I suppose you could. But it’s always awkward for me because I hardly ever paid. When I reached out they’d look at me like I was crazy.

• Yeah, I would Always expect to pay and wouldn't want her to pay for her own.

• No cause rule is I pay.

0|3
    0|0
  • I just jump in and say we split

0|2
    0|0
  • I've never paid on a date, so it's never awkward.

0|1
    0|2
  • Yes.

0|1
    0|0
  • C...

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really because everytime I go on a first date with a guy, he always offers to pay.
    I've never paid on a first date lol

0|1
    0|1

What Guys Said 21

• With my generation, it is accepted that the man will pay the bill. There is never any question. I pay the bill. She does not owe me anything because I pay the bill. If she never wants to see me again, I think of it as tuition paid to the school of hard knocks.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. I go in expecting to pay the full tab. I also choose a place to eat that isn't going to be high end for a first date. A pretty good indicator you are being used for a free meal is if they demand going somewhere high end. A woman that is honestly interested in you won't make such demands. I like to go to privately owned places with dishes in the $20-30 range and a quiet atmosphere. The major dine in chains like TGIF, Applebees, etc.. tend to be too loud these days to actually talk.

0|0
    0|0
  • In my upbringing the man always pays. Only time I've hit an awkward moment on who pays was when I took the family out for graduation dinner and my ex wife's sister offered to pay her portion because the bill was high. I told her it was really ok, I make about this much in a day.. use your money on your kids and your vacation. It was a nice gesture on her behalf.

0|2
    0|0
  • I am sure I did, didn't remember it. Easy rule, on Date #1 the guy pays.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. But a few years ago I met up with a 19 year old college student. She looked at the menu and said "I will just have [something like coffee] since I do not have much money with me." I told her "Don't worry about it. You don't need money, you are with me. I will take care of it." She got this look on her face like, "This is kinda cool". She ordered something mid-range and enjoyed our lunch.

The next time we met, we had sex.

0|1
    0|0
  • When you go on blind dates for the very first time it can be very awkward especially if you're not matching up well. But if I already know the girl no problem I've got it

0|1
    0|0
  • just split the bill and have a nice time

or pay if the other can't afford it as much, I don't know

it sounds like something simple to me, although money isn't always something simple

0|1
    0|0
  • I always go on a date expecting to pay, so no not really

0|1
    0|0
  • I see it like this. Who ever asks the other on a date should pay. If you can't, discuss it ahead of time.

0|1
    0|0
  • I usually pay all for all dates unless she says "I got it" but even then I usually counter with "I'll pay this one and you pay the next one." Then I know if there will be the next date.

0|0
    0|0
  • no i dont make a big deal out of it by always assuming each one gon pay for their shit

0|1
    0|0
  • I always offer to pay, no matter with who I am, if they make a great fuss about it, I back down

0|1
    0|0
  • swiped my Amex between her ass cheeks and it was stained brown afterwards

0|1
    0|0
  • If a woman is nice enough to go out with a man. He should pay.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nah I always have the mindset that I'm gonna pay it but if she offers to split I'm not gonna argue.

0|1
    0|0
  • Men pay the bill. Is chivalry dead?

0|1
    0|0
  • I just pay unless she offers to split

0|2
    0|0
  • It's always me. I expect that from the beginning.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope.

0|1
    0|0
  • No, I make it very well known beforehand that I don't do the subservient crap. I date women who I expect to act like adults, not children.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, but if you see yourself to have a future with that special someone, I think it's worth the risk, don't you think?

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes