Would you ever date someone who has Mental Health Issues? Bipolar disorder, Depression, Personality disorders, etc?

Today is World Mental Health Day 2018. Sometimes it can be quite embarrassing to say you have a mental health issue. I say it's time to stop the stigma with Mental Health and acknowledge.. IT'S OKAY TO GET HELP. We may not all have mental health issues but we all have a mental health that we need to take care of just like anything else. #worldmentalhealthday2018

Would you ever date someone who you know to have Mental Health Issues? Feel free to comment below YaY or Nay.
  • YES
    Vote A
  • NO
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|1

Most Helpful Girls

• As someone with borderline personality disorder people treat me completely differently if and when they find out about my diagnosis. But otherwise, they would have never known. Especially if you dont live with me every day. It's really shitty to reduce someone to their illness.

0|1
    0|0
  • I will never date anyone with a such a severe mental helth issue again. I dated this guy with severe depression and he just bought me down. I tried my best to help him, but he wouldn't even take the steps to help himself. Told him he wasn't alone, but he still refused doctors diagnosis, therapy, and just made excuses. So I had to leave him. When we broke up he pushed me away then tried to act like I didn't care about him at all, and that I just left him like all the other people in his life. He made me feel like the bad guy.
    After a while I just stopped speaking to him. Half a year later he texted me he finally went to get help and that he was doing a lot better. He wanted to get back together, but I refused to have that toxic relationship again. Being with him was like being stuck in the middle of the ocean without a life vest with an anchored tied to your ankle pulling you down into the water and drowning you. I will NEVER date anyone who has such a severe mental disorder because all they do is bring you down with them. It's not their fault, but I can't handle that, not again. I was on the brink of suicide around him. I still remember when he called me and said he was going to kill himself. I broke down in tears. Broke my heart somebody would feel that broken. It was just manipulation because he did the same thing a again and again.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I have clinical depression so I know what it's like. Hopefully we'd be there for each other and bring out the best in ourselves.

I need someone who understands my issues as well. I would love for my future partner and I to be able to grow together.

1|1
    0|0
  • I can’t believe that 72% of you would ever voluntarily do this. By accident I got involved with a mentaly unbalanced lady once. It started out innocent enough but she became more and more unstable as time progressed. I have to jump out of a moving car because she was going to comment suicide and murdere me.
    My advice to you is let them get help and leave them alone. If you are in a disfunctional relationship get out, and get out now. Leave and hide nothing will ever get better and you may loose your life.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 20

• It depends on the severity of the illness, if they’re actively seeking/receiving professional treatment, if they’re the type of person to try and treat me like I’m their therapist, if they self-harm themselves, as well as other factors. This is a complex subject, and the answer, at least for me, is equally complex.

1|1
    0|0
  • I would date someone who has anxiety issues/depression only if they are ready to take help. But, I honestly don't feel I'm mentally and emotionally strong enough to dare someone who has schrizophrenia/Bipolar etc.

2|1
    0|0
  • I have my own mental health issues so I think dating someone with the same would be like supporting each other because we know what the other is feeling in the moment.

1|1
    0|0
  • I already did that and I’m not going to put myself in that position again. So that’ll be a Nay for me.

1|1
    0|0
  • i hold a grudge against "depressed" people. maybe a whole school hates you, but srsly OUT OF 8 BILLION people YOUD THINK NONE CARED? and have they seen how people are trying to help them? THEY NEVER LISTEN! I don't need someone to ill themselves and hurt ME. i would not.

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely not but I ended up with someone who is bipolar schizophrenic and I have gone through hell 😑

0|1
    1|0
  • My boyfriend is in a relationship with me when I have them

0|1
    0|0
  • I said yes, but more than anything I think it depends on how we do (or don’t) compliment each other. If we’re only making each other worse mental health wise, then it’s best we don’t date. If we help build each other up, then I think that’s great! From my personal experience, there are pros and cons to two people with depression dating.. but it doesn’t usually work out too well (again, from my experience). I think a lot depends on what state said person is in regarding their mental health. For me, I’m on meds and have grown better in my coping methods and in recognizing what’s more in my head vs the reality of something. While my depression is in check most every day, my anti-depressants seem to heighten my anxiety, which in turn can make my OCD worse — though it’s usually not outwardly noticeable. In the end, I think it’s best for me to date somebody who has better mental health, though I understand every relationship comes with compromises and I’m willing to make those.

0|0
    0|0
  • I suffer from a few myself, as well as being autistic (which is not an illness but a neurological disorder). The only time I wouldn't date someone with a mental illness was if they have Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course, since I have anxiety, depression, ADHD, and OCD.
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson

0|1
    2|0
  • I guess it depends on the mental illness and how serious it is or not but for most mental illnesses I probably would if I liked the person

0|0
    0|0
  • ALREADY HAVE... not purposely though.

0|1
    0|0
  • Everyone needs someone

0|2
    0|0
  • No, I'm fine being alone.

1|0
    0|0
  • If its being manage

0|0
    0|0
  • Only depression

0|0
    0|0
  • I have depression and anxiety myself and my boyfriend has multiple personality disorder. It’s a living hell but we’ve been trying hard to make it work for 11 months

0|1
    0|0
  • I've had first hand experience with a guy who has numerous issues. It was quite difficult.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on what it is and how serious the mental illness is. I'm sorry :/ Anxiety is okay. I've met many people with bipolar, got cyberbullied by a bipolar adult and didn't have many good experiences with them. I made up my mind to stay far away from them but still be civil and understanding. I'm sorry if this offends anyone but my past experiences just brings back hurtful memories of being excluded and cyberbullied. I don't want to deal with that anymore and I know it doesn't mean everyone who are bipolar will act this way. It's just uncomfortable for me because I'll be reminded of what caused me into depression and other harmful memories.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a possibility if they have everything under control, but I would be most afraid to start something with someone who has multiple personality disorder

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 39

• No, I am not equipped to support someone with serious mental health issues.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah because I'd be a hypocrite if I wouldn't. I routinely go to therapy and I'm medicated. I live a productive life as long as I stay on top of things.

I would date someone who was the same. Someone who isn't getting help or isn't interested in it I wouldn't want to be with.

0|1
    0|0
  • Honestly I dont know. I think some of them are a lot harder to help and harder to connect with the other. I think it depends on the person. I think if it were depression I would rather than the others because I have been depressed myself and understand these things and can help and connect with them.

Otherwise Im 16, I dont know that much about all this stuff so... Thats what I know haha

0|1
    0|0
  • No, I was in love with a much younger girl like that once. Since then she's scared off four husbands, god knows how many live-ins, and missed up her whole life, living alone.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, but only probably someone with depression, can possibly be easily cured for some or manageable as long as they are willing. Me for example I have year round depression I've learned to embrace it.

1|1
    0|1
    • Wait not like all year long maybe few months out of the year. And nope on bipolar. That would be like sticking my dick in a blender and closing my eyes as I flick the switch hoping this time it doesn't turn on

• Yes. But u gotta learn about it. I know a borderline girl, with multiple other issues. Her behavior can be a bit extreme. She's explosive. Just gotta give her space til she calms down.

0|1
    0|0
  • My ex was borderline and trust me...

You don't wanna try it
    There are sooo many bad things with dating them

1|1
    1|0
  • ye just not bipolar because i hate how they go apeshit on you out of nowhere and dont stop till you're angry and yelling back at them

1|1
    0|0
  • Technically you need a yes/no because most of us will/have mental issues sometime in our life. It really doesn't take much to make you need help from someone.

1|0
    0|0
  • Of course because they will never tell you unless they choose to tell you. Because they don’t have to tell you to begin with.

0|1
    0|0
  • My ex is an undiagnosed Narcissist (NPD) I'm pretty sure. And while I would still get back with her if she was in therapy it wouldn't be an easy ride. I'd say it's a slippery slope. Depends if you were actually in love with them or not...

0|0
    0|0
  • I've been down that route... no its not worth the mental heart ache, pain and all around stress.

1|1
    0|0
  • I have anxiety and depression and if anybody wanted to date me as I am right now I’d be seriously worried about their mental health.

1|0
    0|0
  • crazy is not good to deal with you ll just wind up crazy as well

1|1
    1|0
  • Yes i have dated a girl who was Bipolar, Personality disorder etc.

0|1
    0|0
  • The only one I'd be truly fine with is depression im good at helping people with that

1|1
    0|0
  • I'd rather be a good supportive friend for them, but dating them would be difficult

0|1
    0|0
  • Everyone has problems. I would date them anyway. It's nothing I'm not familiar with.

0|1
    0|1
  • Been there, done that. Wouldn't recommend dating depressed women unless you want your quality of life to suffer.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm as nutty as a fruit cake, so it would be hypocritical not to.

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes