If you had mental health issues, would you date someone who was mentally healthy and balanced?
What Guys Said 23
It is a tricky question. Each have their advantages and disavantages.
For reference I have been diagnosed ADD, OCD, depression, and anxiety disorder (yes, I am a mental wreck of a human being, but it is what it is.)
One one hand I'd like end up with someone who has their own mental problems they are working through, because most people don't know what you are going through when you have a mental condition. Being with someone who is struggling with their own mental health means that the two of you kind of know what the other is going though and you can help each other out.
But on the other hand, being with someone who is mentally stable means you have a crutch for when shit hits the fan. You know you'll have someone to fall back on. Sure, they might not know what you're going through, but they'll be there to encourage you. And if you need to take a few days to get your bearing, then you have someone tho help support you.
In the end you won't exactly know what a person's mental health is like until you've been together. Last I checked "Are you mentally stable" isn't the best pick-up line. However, I have found my mental state to actually drive me away from people, because I don't want to burden anyone with my mental health problem. I feel as though it is my burden that I should shoulder alone.
I would be wary since a lot of women aren't tolerate of men with mental health issues as dating material and I don't want to accidentally hurt someone I love. But if she is open and willing to listen and give me encouragement for me to combat such mental issues then I don't see why not.
I would just want to be with someone I like and feel good being around. Depending on the mental health issue (s) I have, I’d want someone who has the same interests as me, similar values and morals, similar goals, is kind, loving, and caring. If I have a mental health issue that clouds my thinking in some way, I may not be able to adequately assess a person for these things that I’ve mentioned
Definitely. They could possibly assist your issues and help you cope a little bit better.
I'm not sure I would. I'd rather get myself healthy so that the relationship isn't toxic from the beginning. It's best for both people to be healthy than just one. Even mental sickness can be contagious (just as much as physical sickness).
Why not? It'd be better than dating someone else that was not well.
That would be ideal because they can be a stable factor. In my case it would be the other way round where i am mentally stable but wouldn't mind dating a damaged girl with some baggage.
Problem is that people with mental health issues usually end up being targeted by abusers for "relationships" and then become long-term victims.
80% of women are on some form of mental health meds, the remaining 20% should be.
Why the fuck would I want only another menatlly imbalanced person in my life? Of course I would!
There's no one truly mentally healthy. Look for someone who seems to know what his/her issues are and a way to cope with them.
Yes sure i would date a girl with a well balanced mental health
I think the question must be to the contrary but answer must be yes/depend of the mental illness
You would have to mantel health can kill relationships having both partners suffering would be crazy
Yep, some time you will find good thing and will stable your mind.
I would date. but imp is they should be ready go out with us. that is equally imp. rite!!
I'd love to date someone who was mentally stable. tbh it would level out my depressed thoughts
My son is that way was looking at a girl in same boat... but too much drama
No id rather have someone like myself
- More from Guys 3
What Girls Said 8
If i loved that person and he loved me back and our relationship is healthy then why not
I have mental health issues sometimes and I think that being with my (mostly) mentally stable boyfriend is a good thing. It’s less about whether they have the same problems you do and more about how understanding they are about them.
Umm yes. as opposed to dating someone else with mental health issues? do you think that would be healthy?
It's all about how I feel about the person.. He may be mentally healthy or not
Yea I would two unmentally stable together can be a disaster
Yes. My issue is severe depression.
I actually don't want to date anyone so no.
You cannot undo this action. The opinion owner is going to be notified and earn 7 XPER points.