I don’t think Im dating “the one,” any advice?

I don’t think im with my soulmate but i feel like he’s good for me in this part of my life and i do love him and care about him but i just dont have that feeling that you’re supposed to get. Any advice?

1924

Most Helpful Guys

• I caution you to be very careful about the whole soulmate thing. You might search your life and never get the "feeling" you think you will have.

Instead of thinking in terms of "oh my god he's the one", try thinking in more general terms. Is he attentive to you? Does he treat you well? Are you comfortable around him and can let your guard down? Is he fair? Those are the things that constitute love more than some magical stomach butterflies you think you should get.

Don't be so quick to dismiss him but then again if you drag this out it will be really bad later on. If you are sure you don't want to be with him then break up now, trust me on this one. Not only are you robbing his time but you are wasting your own as well.

Either that or be up front with him so he doesn't get any wrong ideas and can decide for himself if he wants to keep going with someone who doesn't see a future with him.

• The reason i feel this way is mostly because we have some differences such as i want to travel and he doesn’t and its almost a deal breaker bc i have always wanted someone who wants to travel to other countries and other differences that dont match up with who i always pictured myself marrying but i do enjoy having him in my life right now and he always talks about how happy he is that im in his life and how im the only thing making his life good so i dont want to break up however i can't get rid of this feeling and not knowing if we should end it bc i dont want to hurt him

• So, basically, you are going to use him like an appliance or livestock then kick him to the curb. What does that make you?

• There is no such thing as "the one" or "a soulmate". That's just bullshit that is used to sell romance novels and tickets to chick flicks. It also supports a LOT of therapists who charge money to listen to women bitch and moan about how they haven't found "the one".

Soulmates DO NOT EXIST. You see those amazing couples who are in their 90s and lean on each other joyfully, as if each one is the very air that the other breathes. They probably fought tooth and nail for YEARS after getting married. They both had doubts and worries. They both thought that they had made a horrible mistake. However, they weren't whiny, stupid, lazy crybabies. They WORKED WITH each other. They COMPROMISED. They understood that "soulmate" is a bullshit fantasy only indulged in by teenage morons (and those who never outgrew being teenage morons).

TRUE LOVE IS WORK! True love is pain. True love is dirty, messy, horrible, screaming, fighting, complaining, and then you come back together, each a little scarred and sore, but you build and build. Look at any good city. Are you so STUPID as to think that the city just popped up out of nowhere? NO! It was BUILT! It was built slowly, haltingly, with lots of mistakes and pain.

Until you admit this, you are on the path to becoming a bitter cat lady and dying in your 70s, surrounded by pets and never having any relationship that lasted.

Most Helpful Girls

• There's no such thing as a "soulmate", but I think the feeling you're describing is just someone who truly makes you happy and lacks certain qualities that you're looking for. He's just not what you're looking for in your future partner and he isn't the type of person you truly wish to spend the rest of your life with.

I would break up with him. There is nothing more inconsiderate than wasting your time and wasting someone else's time. You can't get back all the months, or years wasted on a relationship that you knew wasn't going to work. I would end it.

• yeah. guys say there is no the one. but you do get a the one type of feeling when you are with someone that is right for you.

• I think that if you stay with him, if you are indeed right about what you are feeling or not feeling, it will be your loss and his loss as well... :/

he deserves to be free to find love

Unless he is ok to settle for now, like you are.

I don't know, better to talk about it with him. see if he feels the same.

• and if u haven't been with him for one year yet, give it a bit more time. i started feeling it 4 months in. although i already felt a very special connection before that.

anyways, only around 2 years could we see our love was strong enough to last.