Is online dating any good?

Do lasting relationships ever really come out of it?
Tinder seems just for hook ups
Or is most online dating just hook ups?

0|2

Most Helpful Guys

• I never bothered with it but all the people I knew who did looking for something serious only got frustrated with only one exception where one of my acquaintances met his wife through online dating. Yet he's a very odd person: a technical writer, member of Mensa, and no ability whatsoever to do small talk. He find an equally odd sort of wife who is a neuroscientist.

1|0
    0|0
    • He [/found] an equally odd sort of wife who is a neuroscientist.

• Tinder is a straight-up casual sex site and doesn't even try much to pretend otherwise.

If you are looking for a relationship, the best sites are those that are paid, as that filters out a lot of the guys just looking for sex (but not all).

Whatever you do, make sure you only date LOCAL guys who you can actually spend time with in person. People are way too eager to accept long distance - but that is almost always a huge waste of time in the long run.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It can be good. It worked out for some of my friends, as in they actually found decent people and ended up having good relationships. As for myself, I've been less fortunate. For a year, I've talked to multiple weird people. I had some nice conversations along the way but nothing has really stuck... until now

I've been talking to a really nice guy but he's in another country... We've been talking for months now and we've video called. I don't know if it would really work out but I enjoy having him to talk to.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 40

• It is good and bad.

The Good: You can meet lots of compatible people whom you would never meet in the normal course of your everyday life.

The Bad: You can meet lots of shady, manipulative people whom you would never meet in the normal course of your everyday life.

2|1
    0|0
  • I have had my longest lasting relationship come from tinder but it was a one in a million shot because matches were so hard to come by for me and I could not tell if I was doing anything wrong or there were to many idiots who say that they are only on there for my dog and I grew up with a cat :/

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. But you have to use the right site. There are many that are excellent.

One way to tell is that no good site for relationships is free. Either you or your match would have to pay to make contact.

There are some pay sites that are not good, but all good sites are pay sites.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not all that great at all. Too much competition for men, resulting in too little swipes and it just makes you feel depressed.

For women it's the opposite, almost every person they swipe right will match which leaves them with a billion different options and hundreds of guys asking for a shag. If the women isn't all that great looking however, they will end up like the guys.

0|0
    0|0
  • Actually I met my now wife through here, we lived in different countries, hell even different continents, but we still managed to get it through and now we are gonna live together in my country for 3 months. But yeah as long as you both take it seriously it can last forever

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes and no. I met a few good women online, dated a few and had a long-term relationship with one. I met dozens of assholes and read thousands of profiles written by human garbage. You do the math.

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends on the app. Men that want relationships like me will not be on Tinder. I am currently dating a guy now. However, when I wasn't, I used Match. com.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm sure its different for everyone. Seems like it would be easier at 20 I'm sure. I'm not the very best looker but I'm above average. I've only had one date in 6 months.50-100 scammers easy. But I haven't given up

0|0
    0|0
  • It works, but you need the time to find someone whos worth dating, and the balls to actually meet a stranger.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a waste of time.

Tbh I think you have a better chance joining a live speed dating session. Cause then you actually meet people and can make a first impression.

0|0
    0|0
  • My cousin met her husband online, and they are fantastic together! There are some more serious websites that you can try, but POF, Tinder, those things... that's just for random hook ups, honestly.

0|0
    0|0
  • Online dating isn't good these days.
    Only few relationship last which were formed due to online.
    Most online datings are for test & hookups, even when they dont mean it. It won't go well often.

0|0
    1|0
  • It can work certainly a friend of mine met his wife through internet dating I have never done it myself wasn't much internet around duing my college days.

0|0
    0|0
  • Tinder is just for fucking. Get used to it. Let me guess, you're' clueless and don't know anything other than Tinder.

I got married from online "dating".

0|0
    0|0
  • I have known a few people that have met their significant others online, one couple just got engaged.

0|0
    0|0
  • it can't be, once you sift through teh douchebags and players

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a "your mileage may very" type of thing. It may work out or it may not work out. Completely and utterly inconsistent. It's all a "hit or miss". You might find somebody there to date and can form a serious legit long term relationship, or it could all be nothing but a waste of time, effort and energy, just a few conversations back and forth and then nothing. And I heard crap where dudes send dick picks frequently in on those type of sites. The communication is awful either way. It would be better if it was more like Skype or Video with Voice where users can actually talk face to face and chat with a microphone. So if you find something like that for an online dating site, maybe you'll have a better chance and time with it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nothing is ever designed for just hookups. The people using them have a direct causation of whether or not it is used for such. From my experiences, it wasn't worth it. Just two years of sending messages to people that didn't even have the decency to state they weren't interested. The closest I got was some chick strung me along for two weeks.
    It all depends on what you use and who you meet. I wouldn't put my faith in pay vs free sites as pay sites are deceptive and will automatically renew even after you make it clear to cancel.

0|2
    0|0
    • Well...
      there ARE hookup sites. I can name a few if you're interested.
      Also, I strongly believe in the general concept of "You get what you pay for." And my experience with free and pay online dating apps and services matches that philosophy, generally.

• @Chaz269
      I'm not.

• @Chaz269
      and technically, even if there ARE hook up sites, people will still use them for other things. Also pay sites are intrinsically worse due to their shady practices.

• THEY are still A SCRIPTED DEAD PRE-PROGRAMED ROBOTS with BASIC MALE PSYCHOLOGY Reaction System towards FEMALE Attraction System... Not Really ALIVE!!!

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope 4 years on dating sites and nada single or with my wife ( poly relationship)

I had better luck with pubs when I was younger

0|1
    0|0
  • It is hard to judge the success rate of dating sites because most statistics found online are posted by the website themselves so obviously they are going to bump the numbers to make themselves look good. The worst offender is E-Harmony who are famous for lying just about everything to do with their website. A dating expert I know who has over 20 years experience once told me the real success rate is around 5% which sounds more realistic than the BS you can read online.

What I still don't get with people on dating sites is why so much time and effort with them when you can meet someone today simply by going out and talking to someone. I know that is not as easy as it sounds but it is still a better option than spending months or years messing with dating sites.

0|1
    0|0
  • They can last and turn into a forever relationship. Takes a lot of trust and honesty from both people. You must be able to visit each other ar least a few times each year. Online relationship can't last for years. Both must commit and one must break down and move or the relationship could slowly die. There is a big difference between online/visiting and living together. Just because you can move someone online, it doesn't mean you can live with them. I found that out the hard way.

I was in one for years with no huge issues. Everyone's different so good luck.

0|0
    0|1
  • For the wahmen it is. For the members of our species that come with the cucumber add an not so much

0|0
    0|0
  • a lot people meet and date online. a lot times they even get married

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know, as an ugly guy, I can't get anyone. For me, that doesn't work at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • That's how my long distance relationship started, and is going strong for 10 months now.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’ve never tried it,
    Can you be my test subject and report back

0|0
    0|0
  • Tinder is best for hookups

1|0
    0|0
  • For women

0|2
    0|0
  • 😂😂😂😂 be lucky to get a hello from a girl.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 7

• It's possible, but I believe it is rarer than people think. Unless you use a really good site, probably where you have to pay and there aren't as many people who are just looking for a quickie then it's better to try and find someone in real life. You just have to go places and meet new people constantly.

0|0
    0|0
  • From my 24h tinder experience you can definitely meet someone decent, but you will walk into lot of people who use this as a hook up app until they bump into someone where they wish for more
    I would say try it out for yourself

0|0
    0|0
  • its weird imagine having a kid and he asks you where mommy and daddy met

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on the person for me it doesn't work out it is a waste of time for me. I just let it come naturally nobody is worth my stress.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've never actually had a date from it just nasty comments and weird chats

0|0
    0|0
  • No good - personal experience

0|0
    0|0
  • no most people on there trying to hookups, and most men on there are crazy.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes