When's an appropriate time to tell your S/O you know about their cheating?

So my boyfriend forgot his phone at home last night, and it was blowing up. I was trying to sleep, so I got annoyed and unlocked his phone so I could put it on silent, and to my surprise, there were a lot of questionable notifications.
Accidentally (and I swear it was an accident, I do not snoop, I have, well HAD, 100% trust in him) opened a message only to find that he's been sending/recieved nudes.
He just got home, and I am now at work, and my heart is fucking broken.
When would an appropriate time be to tell him I know what he's been doing?
I understand that I invaded his privacy, but does that diminish the fact that he's cheating on me?
Confronted him.
All he had to say was "I don't remember when I would have done that" and that's literally it.
I cracked and bawled my eyes out, and he didn't even have the guts to apologize. I do not know where we go from here.

1754

Most Helpful Guys

• Snooping is bad and you shouldn't do it because it's an invasion of privacy, but I'd say that cheating is a lot worse. So those who say "two wrongs don't make a right" as if snooping is anywhere near as bad are idiots.

If you find out he/she was cheating this way, do these people expect you not to say anything? To carry on a false relationship? Ridiculous.

If you snooped and found nothing, then I'd say that you're more in the wrong because there was likely no reason for you to snoop, and they've done nothing wrong so you invaded their privacy for nothing. But even if the snooping was intentional, and you find something - there was a reason you were snooping and you were proven to be correct, at which point they don't really have a leg to stand on in my opinion.

Where to go from here - he's proven to you that he's a lying, disloyal piece of shit, and also has no remorse since he hasn't even apologised. Why continue with such an asshole?

• What kind of phone requires that you read messages to put it on mute? You both did something wrong, and two wrings do not cancel each other out.

The appropriate time is the very next time that you see him. Tell him right before you say, "I don't ever want to see you again." And then you need to think about what went wrong and how you can change your behavior to be a better girlfriend.

• Lmao this isn't my fault. I refuse to believe that anyone can do something so wrong that being cheated on is okay.

• @Goodwifie I am not defending his behavior, I am not excusing his behavior, and his transgressions were obviously more serious. There is nothing that she can do to fix him or make him a better guy. I said that she should leave him.

However, I am simply not overlooking the fact that she snooped and then tried to say that it was accidental. His transgressions do not make her transgressions okay. She can't change him but she can change her own behavior. I am simply encouraging her to be honest with herself about what she did. I will offer no apology for encouraging someone to be candid in their self-examination. β€œThis above all: to thine own self be true."

• Well said.. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Most Helpful Girls

• Confront him, and I personally would end the relationship

• 100% going to confront him. Just not sure I'll be able to end it over this. 3 years dating, 2.5 years living together. It's a huge investment to throw away to me. I don't know.

• Its also a huge investment to date a cheater

• It's already been thrown away by him.

• Do you live together? Do you plan to try and fix things or breakup? If so, you'll probably want to find another place to stay before telling him. I think once you have that stuff in order, then tell him.

If you plan to fix things, confront him as soon as you can.

• We have lived together for 2 and a half years. We hit some hard times and had to move in with my parents. Part of my wants to fix things, another part of me wants to run. He's been cheated on. He knows that pain. And yet, he did it to me.

• Geez, I'm really sorry you're going through this. Obviously, it's your decision on what to do now. Personally though, I'd break up. Cheaters don't change, and if he knows that kind of pain, and was willing to knowingly hurt you anyway, that's just a big red flag to me.