How long do you talk to someone before you start dating?

I know the boy I'm talking to right now is interested in dating but I'm not ready right now (we've been talking for about 2 weeks). I was just wondering what the average time for everyone else was before they begin dating someone.

1031

Most Helpful Guys

• If I meet a girl at a party. Within the first few minutes, I am going to ask her what her name is. I won't tell mine, but wait to see if she asks me mine. If she doesn't ask me my name, I know she is not interested in me and I move on. If she does ask me my name, I will keep talking to her a little longer and ask her for her phone number, probably around the 10 minute mark. I will leave after getting the phone number, and then wait around a week to ask her for a coffee date. So to answer your question, how long do you talk to someone before you start dating: 10 or more minutes, then I ask the phone number, and then I wait a week to giver her a call and ask her for coffee. I would sure as heck not talk to someone for 2 weeks before asking them out. The phone is to make dates; it's not for chatting (that's what you do on the dates itself).

• The exception to this rule would be a classmate. Then you would wait till the semester is over (or if you are in a rush, maybe mid-semester).

• Between one day to a week. To ask you out all I need is to be attracted to you. The real getting to know each other happens face to face.
    I like to talk to the girl at least twice for the purpose to gauge if she's crazy or not. If I dont see any red flags or deal breakers I'm going to ask you out. If I haven't asked you out after two weeks I most likely am not going to ask you out. I dont like to waste time texting I much rather have face to face interaction.

Most Helpful Girls

• If we're talking a day time/brunch coffee date, then maybe a few hours casually chatting online to see if you have chemistry. A bit of time to look around at their public facebook posts (nothing weird, but enough to weed out the ones still married or hung up on exes). If we're talking "exclusivity" dating, that might take a few weeks for me. I want to know emotionally what I'm walking into there.

• Depending on the connection and conversations. If the guy isn't just looking for sex, and has not mentioned or implied sex for 2 weeks during our spontaneous and intellectual conversations, then I think 2-3 weeks would do. If that's the case, I would feel as if I'd "known" him for a few months, even though we've talked for less than a month. I would be able to feel it.

If it's a guy who's not sincere, just randomly talking here and there (every 3 days) asking only "What's up?" or "What you doing?" without other meaningful conversations, or even A conversation, then even if a month has passed, I still won't date him, and probably won't be talking to him past 2 weeks. I'll give 3 chances, and each time I think he's not going to make it through, that count as 1 chance lost. I don't mean that it's not appropriate to ask question like "How are you?" as long as he actually cares, not just as filler. A guy that I would date, needs to have had many good conversations with me, that we text every few minutes, here and there, but still able to text until midnight with each other while doing our daily tasks.